Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had three Panama turquoise & bronze auratus (not El Cope) since August. They're 7-8 months old now. One is most likely female, one is most likely male, and the third I keep going back and forth on.

1. The male is not just a climber - he's an acrobat. He doesn't do it every day, but frequently he'll spend the day climbing the glass, diving from the top into a plant, jumping around to other plants, and starting all over again. It's not a set pattern; he just really seems to like playing "the floor is lava" and he's really good at it. I've let my plants grow wild to give him more of a (literal) jungle gym.

This may be a goofy question, but what are the odds this guy could hurt himself falling? I've seen him fall from the top of the glass (24") numerous times and pop right back up and start climbing again, so I figure it can't be that easy or he'd probably be dead by now. The viv has layers of oak and magnolia leaves and nothing seems dangerous to fall on, but can frogs break their legs or anything? I'm also a little worried about him getting a scratch or a wound of some kind.

2. That lovely day arrived yesterday when I first heard a frog call. (SO CUTE! Like a sweeter cicada with a half-ribbit.) Now I know that calling in no way automatically means "you're going to have tadpoles soon," but I do want to be prepared for any contingency. The viv is purposefully not set up for breeding -- no film canisters, coco huts, or standing water. Do I need to be concerned at all about looking for eggs and so forth? Contrary to most hobbyists I do not currently want more frogs, since I have space right now for only one viv.

I think I've given the frogs a nice comfy home, with lots of visual barriers and leaf litter, and some cork rounds for even more hiding. They're all active and healthy. I'm figuring they might end up mating, and I do know what to look for there...but I'm not sure what to do if they breed, or if they ever will minus the accoutrements.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.

Still hoping for advice more specific to my situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts