Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was just wasting time at work, checking out glasscages.com, and I came across this frog condo. It looks really cool. The only issue is parasite and bacteria transfer. I'm glad people are starting to notice the housing needs of larger collecters :)

·
Administrator
8,783 Posts
I asked them to price out something fairly close to this 4 years ago.

Mine was going to be 4 units of (about) 15g each. Front opening. Sealed internally (for just the reasons you fear the setup mentioned Joe).

s

·
Registered
545 Posts
Awesome thanks, $150? o_O Actually not a bad price, I'm gonna get a 70 gal from these guys sometime soon and work on it all year and get something cool at the next NWFF (or maybe sooner) ;) :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott,

Here is the thing. You seal them up, and you must drill 6 drain holes in one large piece of very important glass. I doubt twinoaks would touch that job with a 10 foot pole, unless you threw $300 their way. I guess the elevated egg crate does keep each section relatively isolated, so long as you don't have standing water to the soil level. The one pictured above would only require one drain hole. Any ideas?

~Joe

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't see why it would be such a big deal aside from the spread of fungus from an outside plant. Just keep the water low like Joe mentioned and one drain should work. However I would keep the upper sections sealed just in case, the water will have tannins in it if you're using orchid bark and tannins (I believe) have a neutralization property but I could be wrong.

Everett

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is bacteria and parasites. These frogs live in such a small area, that bacteria can easily build up and parasites can quickly develop. If one frog has a parasite, such as hook worms, the soil is so close in each section that cross contamination would be likely.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I didn't think parasites were too much of a problem w/ the frogs. Aren't most treatable? I can see how something could go wrong fast but I still think the frogs would be fine in that kind of enclosure.

Everett

PS I'm sticking w/ regular terrariums because I can do more with them ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Another idea for those tanks could be to use them as froglet houses. The froglets won't have any parasites that the parents don't (provided you use good water) and then you don't have to worry about anything spreading.

Everett

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must say that this is by far one of the most frustrating things about this hobby for me. I like having uniform tanks that look good together and function the same. On the other hand, I rarely have the time to spend 4 hours elbow deep in silicone, covered in tiny little glass cuts to make these tanks. If anyone out there can ever come up with a way to produce a 13-18G tank that has sprayers, drains, and opens in the front in relative quantity and they do not bend, melt, leak, or break in shipping I (and I'm guessing a large part of this community) will be forever grateful customers. I have no clue what the price point would be (maybe $60-$90), but this would be a great contribution!

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Joe,
How great are those!? I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one, but man if ONLY someone in the USA would make something of that quality. Picture this in your frogroom.

It would solve all my problems. Thumbs up top, leucs or auratus in the center, tincs/azureus down below... man.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, not to get too technical but, $150 for the tank. 6 holes at $20 a pop, thats another $120. Total = $270... thats pretty close to Joe's guess. I have one tank from them. Its not bad, I just envisioned a little more.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
its easier than that

all you really have to do is put a 1/2 inch pvc in each tank and put a cap on the pipe then pump the water out with a 2 dollar pump. i have no holes in my tanks and i get the water out i just have one pvc pipe and a little hand pump.

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Ok that would be cool, and I could build that easy, and even with front openings. I see no point in drilling tanks, it will just leak at some point, and if you don't over mist it will not fill up. I have had a tank setup for well over a year, and only had to siphon it one time. Even my custom tanks are not drilled and I have only had to drain one.

That tank has been thinking.... hmmm but easier to manage with seperate tanks. Not to mention a ton lighter.

For as cheap as they make tanks I wonder if they would cut glass cheaper...I'd drive up there for a huge order of glass.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts