·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oklahoma Reptile Expo in Tulsa, OK
August 21-22
10am-4pm both days
Tulsa Select Hotel

I won't be a vendor at the show, but I will bringing some frogs for possible trade if anyone is interested we can meet up.

Dendrobates auratus blue/black
possible unrelated pair, 1 from Saurian 1 from Rainforrest Junkies
14 months old
$90

Azureus
0.0.5 froglets
1 month oow
$35 each or $125 for all

Dendrobates auratus costa rican GB
0.0.1 froglet
4 months oow
$35

Leucomela tadpoles with all 4 legs, will be morphing within 7 days
$25

I also have an empty 29 gallon aquarium, holds water if necessary with screen top
$35

If anyone is coming to the show and interesting in buying or trading, please message me

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I might be there saturday, not sure I'll be buying though. Say hi to the semi military looking guy with goatee in the white pearl snap, or white button up with rolled sleeves :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll be there Saturday. I was planning to buy some more darts from Reptilesetcetera if he vendors again but if he doesn't come I may have to look elsewhere for a froggie fix.

BTW, does anyone local breed mantellas? I really love mantellas. I can get some online but I am afraid of having them shipped in this heat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will buy some of your froglets and maybe the tank.

Do any of you like tarantulas? I have around 45 little white nakey babies. They are Texas Tans (Aphonopelma anax), a very docile species. They have been first instars for about a month and a half. They are slow growers so I am not sure when they are going to molt to second instars. I thought it would have been by now, but they haven't. I will sell them for 5 bucks each or do trades if any of you want some. I can take them with me to the show or we can meet someplace else.

Right now they are tiny, they could stand on the end of a pencil eraser. I was going to sell them after they molted again but if anyone wants them now I suppose they can have them. They can live in the deli cups I have them in for months but will eventually need a small home.

The parents

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Rayven_Alandria/Pets%20and%20Random%20Animals/Pet%20Tarantulas/?action=view&current=tans1.jpg

Notice my fingers holding the cup, that is how small they are right now.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Rayven_Alandria/Pets%20and%20Random%20Animals/Pet%20Tarantulas/?action=view&current=instarcup3.jpg

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I am a little into tarantulas, I dont have any though. I dont really know how I should care for those, you would have to tell me, but I think they would be cool to have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are super easy to care for. Basically, you give them a good substrate such as cocofiber and vermiculite, a few places to hide, a water bowl, and occasional food. You can research any of the Aphonopelma and the caresheet will cover the anax as well. They don't really need much care.

I gave mine a makeshift tunnel to hide in, which is just a water bottle with the ends cut off and placed against the side of the aquarium so I can spy on her. She didn't seem to like the white PVP pipe so I placed the cut water bottle in there and she took to it after a couple of days. I'll make her something more elaborate when I have some free time.

Brice, would you like for all of us to meet up someplace to do trades? I think I'll buy your tank and a few froggies. Where would you like to do it? I can meet y'all at the show or meet up on a different day if it is more convenient.

I am a little into tarantulas, I dont have any though. I dont really know how I should care for those, you would have to tell me, but I think they would be cool to have.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
You guys might be better off meeting off hotel property, most shows including this one I think have rules about non vendors bringing animals or products for trade/sale at the show...even in the parking lot. Probably not a lot they can do other then ask you to leave but ya it may be worth going off grounds if you wanna be sure to avoid any drama.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Yeah thats a good idea Dave. I might think about getting one of those tarantulas. What size enclosure would you use for it? Just curious.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You may be right. The people who run the show would probably chase us off. Maybe we should be discrete.

Last time the show was held, I went back to the show the day after I purchased a ton of animals to return a snake that had died and the people running the show almost tackled me trying to force me to pay the door fee again. I told them I was just returning a dead animal and walked off but I got a VERY bad impression of them from that incident. I had spent almost 1600 bucks the day before and they were going to hassle me about a five dollar door fee? Jeez. You'd think they want to encourage people like me to attend, not chase them away. They don't even have a two day deal, they expect full entrance fees for both days and the show is very, very small compared to most shows.

To be honest, if there were any other shows in town, I would never go back to this one. In fact, my son wanted to skip it and wait until the Oklahoma City show in October because he was so offended by the way they behaved. I was planning to go to the Tulsa show only because I wanted a few more darts. Most of the vendors at the Tulsa show are nice, but I don't have a good opinion of the people who run the event. That kind of pettiness and greed is very off-putting. I know they have to make a living, but it really rubbed me the wrong way when they acted that way. (I know they remembered me.)

If we meet in the parking lot we'd better be very discrete, or we can meet elsewhere. We can even meet on different days than the show is being held if y'all want. I'm open to whatever is convenient for everyone else.

You guys might be better off meeting off hotel property, most shows including this one I think have rules about non vendors bringing animals or products for trade/sale at the show...even in the parking lot. Probably not a lot they can do other then ask you to leave but ya it may be worth going off grounds if you wanna be sure to avoid any drama.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These kind of tarantulas grow so slowly you could put them in a very small cage for a long while. Even as adults they only need about a ten gallon. As a baby they would do better in something small so they can easily find food. A gallon or two sized container would be more than plenty until they reach adult size. They are so small right now they can live in the little cups I have them in for a couple of months, but you could make them a nice little home out of a large spaghetti jar, a small critter cage, a larger plastic deli cup container, or whatever you happen to have laying around. (Just make sure they have air holes).

Yeah thats a good idea Dave. I might think about getting one of those tarantulas. What size enclosure would you use for it? Just curious.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right now they eat nothing because they are only first instars. I read that on rare occasions tarantula first instars will eat, so I placed fruit flies in with ten of them as an experiment. Not one of them ate a fruitfly.

After they molt to second instar they will eat. You can feed them small crickets or other small typical feeder insects at that point. You can wait until they molt to buy one from me if you want to do some research first. Right now they don't do much but walk around a little and hide in the crannies of the paper towels. I'm not trying very hard to sell them so I am sure I'll have plenty left when they molt. Since I live in the same town as you do, we can keep in touch and when they have molted and eaten you can check them out and see if you still want one.

(Sorry for the thread derail)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are there many dart vendors there? If so I may swing over Sunday afternoon since I live only a couple hours from Tulsa.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
There really arn't much dart frog vendors at the Tulsa show. Taron (reptilesetcetera) is really the only dart frog vendor there.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I don't know if Taron is planning on coming to this show with him moving and all...but sometimes other vendors have a few. They are more common now then they used to be but occasionally a show may still go by where none show up.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Yeah, every once in a while a couple vendors have a little bit, but none like Taron. He will be there though, I have already talked to him and he is bring a couple things for me already. He told me he will have tincs, mints, ect.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Cool, I may have to pick up a mint or something if I can afford it...might have to just overdraft my account ;)

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Lol yeah, I bought 2 mints from him a couple months ago, he gave them to me for $50 each. I think he will be selling the ones at the show for $75 each.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts