Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is john and i have 2 D. Aratus that I got about two weeks ago, after looking at everyones projects on here, I want to start my own.I haven't decided whether or not to do some type of waterfall/flow or to do a corner of water with fish. Any suggestions will help! What things will I need? What small pump is best? Anything? And what is the plastic stuff ppl are using for false bottoms that has the squares(they put it on top of PVC)? Thanks hope I get some help and tips and anything lol:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
What do you have the frogs in now?
I wouldn't recommend having a waterfall in your first tank, but if you do end up just having a corner of water, do not expect to keep fish unless you are building a very large tank. The water volume is a lot smaller than you'd think it would be. Besides this, the larger the water area, the less usuable room your frogs have. The "plastic stuff" is called eggcrate and you can get it at lowes or online.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are in a 10 gallon tank now, but i plan to make the project tank bigger like a 20 long or something

·
Registered
599 Posts
yeah, i wouldn't do the water feature unless you had a considerably larger tank.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't make your first tank to complicated, simplicity can be better when it comes to vivs. Try a water feature in a later tank, or if you really want one, put it in a corner. but don't try putting fish in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help, if i was to do a little water in a corner with rocks just for looks how would i keep the substrate higher than the water and out of the water?

·
Registered
393 Posts
You could always cut a hole in the plastic egg crate to let the substrate go lower in that particular area. Just make sure the water is above the level of the substrate in the hole, but below the level of the egg crate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a corner bowl for a snake i had and im thinking about putting it in the corner with substrate to the rim them putting gravel in it so it isnt as deep, them putting a water pump outside the tank with a tube in it for bubbles, and comments?

·
Registered
70 Posts
So you wouldn't have a drainage layer for the rest of the tank? Terrarium substrates can become waterlogged very easily and can rot your plants out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What would the bubbles be for? As you can probably guess, having a water feature in a tank even as large as a 20 gallon can be kind of a pain. It seems like a lot of people start out with one, and in subsequent tanks leave that part out. Also, you will have to make sure that, if you have a tube going out of the tank, the lid fits very snugly around the tube as a frog could be able to escape at that point. At the very least a lot of fruit flies will escape through there too.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I don't have a water feature in any tank and I probably won't ever build any. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just giving you my humble opinion. The frogs really don't need it to thrive, and it makes viv construction easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts