Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ever though about selling these? I'd imagine you could sell a bunch if you priced them reasonably.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my test plastic. It melts at a lower temp and is more ridged and a little easier to print with. It's made from corn and is bio-degradable. I have ABS in the house for the final product. That is well tested in both terrariums and aquariums and will not have issues with frogs over time or heat. But it doesn't smell as nice in my office when it's melting :eek:

Jae Le

·
Registered
55 Posts
Way cool Jay. I've watched and followed some of your videos. Extremely informative! Looking forward to seeing more. I just bought some parts to do a couple circulation fans thanks to you.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Awesome looking conversions bro....Trifecta are looking sweet too....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. My trifectas are really growing in. I need to start pruning more, but all the tanks are full of pums. Every time I go in there someone is moving tadpoles to a new brom. So I'm trying to just let nature do it's thing.

As to the vertical conversion kits, I will be posting slowly as I am just really learning what 3D printing can and cannot do. Plus I'm new to design, working with google sketchup, and everything I make reminds me of blocky 60's robots.

Due to the limits of size and warping that occurs when the bed is not heated, I was starting to look at modular options. Plus I know everyone wants hinged doors from both sides, so I have been testing out what hinges would work best. If anyone has a better way than magnets to make a tight latch, please let me know.

Beyond the normal, I started working on some ideas of internal air-circulation. I think there should be an air duct above each door so the glass is always dry.

Jae Le

·
Registered
720 Posts
Jae,

Bravo!

Keep the thoughts flowing! I think you could easily be on the bleeding edge of PDF viv development!

Ciao,
Bob

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FrogFace v1 complete! It's got side-hinged double glass doors, magnetic locks, and upper/lower mesh vents.

While I'm tweaking some of the weaker points to my build, I'm also considering building mounts into it for side strip lighting and air circulation. I'll be also moving to a green/black look in ABS plastic.

Jae Le

·
Registered
203 Posts
wow... just wow. I'm blown away by the artsmanship of this design. It's sleek, fully functional and super professional looking. Moreover, there are no other designs on the market anything like it, to my knowledge. I tend to not be a fan of double-door setups because of how much they block the view of the tank's interior (especially for smaller setups) and FF escapees, but it's hardly noticeable in this design. The magnet placement is ingenious for how they close each other, and I love the look of the latching mechanism. Put me on the waiting list for if (when) you decide to sell these, I'm sure they'd really fly off the shelves.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind response. It's going to be a while before I can sell anyone. It was hard enough just getting to this point.

Sammie, I doubt it. 3D printers are expensive and so is R&D! Then again, I've probably paid more than that for frogs. :)

Jeremy, of you want to try one out let me know. Or would you want to wait for my 20H gallon version?

Nath514, how big are you looking to build. I got myself a gMax 3D Printer | Print Something Today because it did a 16x16x9 inch build space and my long term objective is to make FrogCubes :) But the gMax its hard to calibrate. Better to learn on something small that does little 6x6 jobs.

Jae Le

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would absolutely love to try one out. I've been putting off making a conversion tank for far too long for far too many nonexistent reasons. I've got a 10 gallon that I'm using as a growout now that I initially bought just for that purpose, so the 10 gal kit would be best so I can get right to construction. I'll be sure to keep updates of its progress. Shall I PM you for details?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure, send me a PM as a reminder. I'm told constantly I need to change to ABS plastic, and I'm looking to extend my printer and get a heated bed for better printing. That's gonna take a while. But the end result will be one large piece of plastic to pop into the front, rather than require a piece of glass at the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd totally be interested in a 40g breeder conversion! Or a top and separate Bottom piece with a hinge to fit between the two. Great work though! I think that these are going to be fantastic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts