Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a beautiful CRASSULA PORTULACEA CONVOLUTA GOLLUM or Trumpet Jade. I had to do a lot of research to figure out this much because it was unidentified at the store. I fell in love with it but I want to know two things.

1...How do I care for it, what are the best conditions, soil, light, fertilizer?

2. Would cuttings survive or grow in a terrarium? (that would be too cool) :D

Thanks in advance for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, I did it again! How is it I ask the hard questions? :roll: Has no one on here even seen or dealt with these kinds of plants before?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt if a vivarium would really provide the types of conditions these plants prefer (especially since their structure is such that it enables them to retain moisture because of the dry environments in which they are natives). Even if it happened to do relatively well in a viv (probably have to keep it seperately potted in a fast draining mix), IMO it would just stick out like a sore thumb in an enclosure meant to replicate a rainforest habitat. It would look much more natural in some scree/sand and a few rock outcroppings.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an elephant jade.

It loves bright bright sun, fast draining soil, and moderate watering. It can go a long time without watering but does best watered every other day in a sandy soil. The cuttings take root with no effort, sometimes even on accident.

In bright sun it turns a little yellow but grows fast, I bring it inside once and a while and the leaves turn back to a nice dark full green. I feed it once a month with fish emulsion, but I think it would be just fine without.

I had it on my rack under fluros for a few weeks, it grew but very slowly. I don't think it would be a suitable plant for the viv, but it makes fun bonsai. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts