Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone help me to troubleshoot my Marcgravia Sp.? I've had it planted for slightly over two weeks now and many of its leaves have started completely turning brown (within 24 hours). I have it pretty high up near the vents but paradoxically its leaves takes forever to dry. Is it an issue of the plant being too dry or is it because the leaves are too wet for too long? Or is it something else? Just acclimation?

Thank you.

Water Plant Wood Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Water Terrestrial plant Wood Leaf vegetable

Wood Plant Terrestrial plant Bedrock Grass

Same species (visually ID'd) that I got 4 weeks ago. Looks to be doing perfectly fine.
Plant Terrestrial plant Insect Groundcover Pollinator

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been keeping marcgravia for about a year now so i'm not an expert but this is common in my opinion. When I put cuttings directly into vivs it almost always loses half to most of its leaves before taking off and doing well. I have had some that just die as well. I have found that if I root it in a prop bin on spaghnum without ever getting the leaves wet but keeping humidity high it does much better transplanted into vivarium conditions. Generally I think if it has roots it does much better as opposed to just putting in a cutting. Species I have include rectiflora, red and white umbellata and sintenisii.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The sphagnum that both the Marcgravias are in looks quite wet, is it always that wet?
Yes, it stays on the wetter side as it's right underneath a vent (6 inches away) and I don't want it to dry out. Strangely the plant and the sphagnum seems to have trouble drying out when the mosses in the wall right next to the plants seem all too eager to. From your comment I'm assuming root rot?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts