Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have my viv set up and I cannot seem to get my temp up - My heat source (Aside from 2 CFLs in the hood) is a submerged aquarium heater set at 80% under the false bottom..

However, my IR heat sensor seems to say that the temp in the tank never really gets above 72 or so (Even though it is consistent there)

Im not comfortable setting my heater to 90 (If it will even go that high - I think it peaks at 86) So are there and other suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOps - Sorry

Its an exo Terra 18X18X24

2 inch false bottom full of water with heater

Humidity stable at 80%

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
72 is PERFECT! dont mess with it. in fact dropping lower than that (up to 10 degrees) with the lights off is fine as well.

where do you live that your having trouble keeping temps up at this time of year? its been almost 100F here every day and even with the air full blast i have a hard time keeping the tanks on the top of my racks under the high 70s.

james

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If 72 is good then awesome! I actually live in Ca. just north of San Francisco -

The weather is nice but we typically are in the 75-85 in summer... I assumed I needed the tank to be in the 76/77 range - But if 72 is fine then thats great as that seems to be the average temp - Maybe 70 at night -

As for the screen top, the light hood covers the front half, and a thin plexi sheet with a hole cut for the fan covers the back, so it is pretty sealed.

I have a 12V cpu fan running breeze through but it doesnt seem to be lowering the temp any - It just lowered the humidity from 90% to 80%. It moves 8 cubic feet of air per minute - Im actually thinking of crippling it a bit -

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I'd love to have your problem. Right now the daytime temperatures in El Paso are 100-108. Our rental home has a swamp cooler which is really not that great. I can keep the house from getting to 82 and my tanks are staying at just under 80 with the occational blip over but never for more than an hour. Enjoy your perfect temps while we southerners B A K E !

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'd love to have your problem. Right now the daytime temperatures in El Paso are 100-108. Our rental home has a swamp cooler which is really not that great. I can keep the house from getting to 82 and my tanks are staying at just under 80 with the occational blip over but never for more than an hour. Enjoy your perfect temps while we southerners B A K E !
Quit your whining, Doug and duct tape some of those Phase 22 packs to your forehead!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Quit your whining, Doug and duct tape some of those Phase 22 packs to your forehead!
Hmmmmm. Thats not a bad idea. What about a phase22 inulated hat. It sure would help when I'm standing out on the sea lion deck with gunite walls surrounding me on 3 sides at 3 am.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hmmmmm. Thats not a bad idea. What about a phase22 inulated hat. It sure would help when I'm standing out on the sea lion deck with gunite walls surrounding me on 3 sides at 3 am.
You're on your own for a hat...but how about a jacket designed to hold Phase change gel packs (phase 22 paks) to keep you cool in the summer OR warm in the winter? Here it is!! TechKewl Nomex Phase Change Cooling Vest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts