Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning a 120 for a group of Trivs [Bajo Huallaga], and figured i'd get some answers before setting them up... Are they loud? bold? do they enjoy ponds? how old are "mature" frogs? how many eggs? Will they take crickets?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cannot speak to the species as a whole, just me group. I have 4, and at least 2 are female. In the beginning they were skittish and I often only saw their green backsides disappearing into the leaf litter. I have them in area of the house that has moderate traffiic. They've relaxed a bit, but are still shy.

They have an impressive jump, so floor space is more important than vertical, but I have seen them climb as well. My group roosts on broad-leafed plants at night and is usually the only time I can get a full head count (even then I don't always see them all). Ponds are good for tadpole deposition sites. I have read and discussed that trivs need some sort of water feature in their tanks. Mine have one. And they've bred successfully. Whether this is the water feature's or my doing is not entirely clear.

I've heard that they can take larger prey items but I haven't tried, my tank is seeded with isopods and springtails. They consume hydei and termites.

They aren't my loudest frogs or my boldest but I find them rewarding to work with. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot speak to the species as a whole, just me group. I have 4, and at least 2 are female. In the beginning they were skittish and I often only saw their green backsides disappearing into the leaf litter. I have them in area of the house that has moderate traffiic. They've relaxed a bit, but are still shy.

They have an impressive jump, so floor space is more important than vertical, but I have seen them climb as well. My group roosts on broad-leafed plants at night and is usually the only time I can get a full head count (even then I don't always see them all). Ponds are good for tadpole deposition sites. I have read and discussed that trivs need some sort of water feature in their tanks. Mine have one. And they've bred successfully. Whether this is the water feature's or my doing is not entirely clear.

I've heard that they can take larger prey items but I haven't tried, my tank is seeded with isopods and springtails. They consume hydei and termites.

They aren't my loudest frogs or my boldest but I find them rewarding to work with. Hope that helped.
thanks! how old are yours?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Roughly two years. They only started breeding recently for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Boabab95,
Did you get your trivs? I`m thinking about getting a small group and would love to hear other peoples experiences with them. thanks
Rob

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am bumping this... I am going to be getting a few in about a month and am building their 36x18x18 right now... I have maximized floor space, will have 3 sides of the tank blocked out with a background, a stream and a good sized pond.

Does anyone working with these have any input on the dynamics of these frogs? I am getting 4 and if beneficial, a 5th.

Also looking for plant suggestions that would provide sufficient density... I was thinking along the lines of begonia raja on the floor and possibly oak-leaf ficus on the background.

Here is a photo of the tank... I will be adding the left side wall this week.

Again, any tips are appreciated :)

-Christian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts