Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased a tricolor (santa isabel) from black jungle about 2 months ago....and i see him somewhere around the rate of two or three times a week when i catch him out as i walk into the room. he is ALWAYS hiding. is this normal behavior? when i do see him he seems to be growing so he must be finding flies at some point.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with Scott you should really have picked up a couple, especially with frogs like tricolors, because they get along well in groups. You might want to consider getting another

My tricolors were initially very shy, but as they got older and more color they got bolder and bolder. I had a discussion with another board member about this behavior and he has a great theory about it.

I have one male and 3 females ad the male is out all the time, but it is rare to see all the females out, even when he is calling.

Also, get used to moving slowly in front of the enclosures and just sitting
so they get used to you being there, eventually it will be out most of the time.

Also, remember to dust your fruit flies with paprika.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this was my first frog when i didn't really know much about anything...just went to black jungle and thought it would be fun to try and they didn't say anything about how i should keep a pair....so yeah i'd like to get more but i'd need to set up another viv to do that...so maybe after xmas. paprkia? should i just mix a little in with the usual dustings? (i assume this is for brighter color?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had my tricolors, I had 8 in a 20L tank. They were ALWAYS out. The interaction was constant. You could watch them for hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow you could put that many in a 20 gal? that's encouraging...perhaps a new project to start up :D

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I really want some of these they call alot, are social, good breeders and lay nice size clutches. I was talking to the guys at Black Jungle and they lost there breeder M or F and they were holding back there F1s to get some more breeders. I was pretty dissapointed that I wouldnt be able to run up there and pick some up any time soon. But thats good news for you FISH that you got a F1! Ide also like some of the ones that Sean is selling.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Tricolors are a great frog, especially if you like frogs that call a lot. They are fairly loud, but the call is nice. The male starts calling and that sets off my male trivittatus, a couple of time they have call back and forth for most of the night. I would actually like to get another tricolor morph some day.

I got mine from Sean. He often has several morphs available, and he is great to work with.

Fish: Yes, The paprika is for color. You can also gutload crickets with sweet potatos or carrots, but since you only have the one...... pinheads can be pain to deal with and you usually have to buy at least 500 of them.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tricolors are common, but still one of my fave froggies. i recon i will always have some :)

get a nother 2 or more mate, they will love each othher and hopefully breed to !

Jono

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.