Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAMN IT!!! I just deleted my whole page long description i was about to post......araargfagggghhhhh.
So ill try to keep it short.
Im making a 20 gal long vertical conversion palu. I only had 1 square foot of space for the hood so could not do tube bulbs and ended up with
-Exo Terra 60 watt Sun Glo
-Exo Terra 26 watt Repti Glo 5.0 UVB bulb
I am planning on keeping an almost completely arboreal gecko (reason for UVB) so the entire bottom of the tank will be about 7 inch deep water.
Here comes the confusing part...dont try to understand the specifics, just the concept haha.
I will have a GS background covered in peat moss and a couple air plants (epiphytes or however you spell it). In the center of the cage, about and inch above the water will be a floating rock....yes floating. The best way to describe it is the floating mountains in Avatar (blue people movie). A miniature ficus will be planted on the island.
My question is.....
When the ficus matures and fill out on top, will it block out all the light to the fish in the aquarium portion?? Or the plants lower in the viv or in the aquarium??
So main thing.....
I was thinking of trying to place another light source hidden in the bottom of the rock (about a 5 inch tall and wide grout covered GS rock). Would that be a smart solution to the small penetration of light (if the ficus blocks it.) Such as a small LED fixture or just blue LEDs for the water. OR even trying to fit a whole bulb inside the rock, facing down???
I just need suggestions and any ideas if this is even needed. I would like to have enough light in the water to see the fish brightly and grow aquatic plants....
Thanks in advance for your time and ideas,
-Jeremy

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Im making a 20 gal long vertical conversion palu. I only had 1 square foot of space for the hood so could not do tube bulbs and ended up with
-Exo Terra 60 watt Sun Glo
-Exo Terra 26 watt Repti Glo 5.0 UVB bulb
I am planning on keeping an almost completely arboreal gecko (reason for UVB) so the entire bottom of the tank will be about 7 inch deep water.
Unless you are replacing the glass on what will be the top of the verticle conversion, no UVB will penetrate it. Aquarium glass is not transparent to UVB, your wasting money. You either need to replace it with Solacryl or special glass that is transparent to UVB.

Ed

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
or just put some screen under where you want the UVB light.
That will either entail drilling the glass or removing the pane and installing a glass or plexi lid with holes for the UVB to pass through it. If he is replacing it with plexi, then he should avoid the thinner plexiglass since it is prone to warping and it should be bonded to the glass using weld on 16 or weld on 40 since silicone often doesn't bond plexi well.

Ed

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your idea of having a fully grown ficus and being able to see your fish in the bottom of your viv are slightly at odds. But...you can get LED spotlights that have regular bases (can screw into a table lamp). You could run two of these on each side and it would light the bottom just fine assuming your keep the ficus trimmed at the base. Wouldn't look that good though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea thanks for all the ideas. Just good knowing i have options.
I want the aquarium to be lighted well but for the whole thing to look good so i dont really want extra fixtures on the sides of the tank...what about completely underwater LEDs?? Can i get enough of those that would light the aquarium enough??

"Unless you are replacing the glass on what will be the top of the verticle conversion, no UVB will penetrate it. Aquarium glass is not transparent to UVB, your wasting money. You either need to replace it with Solacryl or special glass that is transparent to UVB."

Yes the top glass will be out and the bottom of the hood will be covered by screen. Sory i dont know how to work the quote button yet haha

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Keep in mind the finer the screen the greater the reduction in UVB penetration. A fine mesh screen can actually prevent 100% of the UVB.

Ed

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
It is highly affected by the type of screen used and the size of the holes. See Evaluation of UVB reduction by materials commonly used in reptile husbandry; 2007; ZooBiology, 26(5): 417-423

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts