Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My pair of imitators just raised up their first froglet by egg feeding.He morphed out last monday and is now just starting to get around in the viv. I was wondering if others that have raised say pumilios catch them once they have come out of the water.As soon as I opene the top of the 15 tall the pair is in it dives for the nearest bromiliad.I may just leave it in there and feed lots of springtails but I was wondering how any of you have dealt with this situation with your frogs.
Thanks,
Mark W.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Only thing I could offer is try to catch it away from the brom. I have had 2 that I wanted to split up, but doubt I could get him out without tearing the tank up.

Mark Wilson said:
Hi All,
My pair of imitators just raised up their first froglet by egg feeding.He morphed out last monday and is now just starting to get around in the viv. I was wondering if others that have raised say pumilios catch them once they have come out of the water.As soon as I opene the top of the 15 tall the pair is in it dives for the nearest bromiliad.I may just leave it in there and feed lots of springtails but I was wondering how any of you have dealt with this situation with your frogs.
Thanks,
Mark W.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't know if this is any help, as I have never had this issue/opurtunity. But when I have to catch a frog I feed them to get them to come out and then I scoope them up quickly with one of those little nets used to catch fish in an aquarium.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would leave it in the tank for awhile, just feed lots of springtails. I have done this, and will do this when I work with pumilio more. The parents won't bother it. I would take it out once it gets some size on it... but there are no real secrets to getting it out. You just have to be faster lol, or right time right place. Although, I have heard you can use a plastic spoon to scoop them out of brom axils if they keep diving in there. But like I said, I would leave it in there until it gains some size and it should become easier to catch then as well. Lastly, congrats on the new froglet!

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Another idea...

I can get my imitators to come out of a brom by tapping the base. So if you placed a cup of the end of the leaf then tapped it, that might work. I have not tried this, but have got them out by lightly tappig the base. You can also pull the leaf off if its on the edge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
waterfall

hi can u post a step by step guide to making that rock waterfall? its brilliant! :lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi Mark,
I've found the best way to catch pumilio froglets is to try in the morning hours just before the lights come on. I think the babies don't feel as threatened during that time, and I usually find them on the front of the glass every morning which makes them pretty easy to catch. I use a very small fishnet (meant for small fish fry) to trap them up against the glass, and then use a sheet of thin plastic to slide between them and the net. Also, I remove them as soon as they morph out, and I haven't experienced any problems at all. Congratulations on the new addition!

Randy
http://www.fruitflyspecialties.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,
Once the little guy, just a guess but the way my luck has been it is probably a male,gets more adventurous I will try the froglet on the glass trick.His father was also raised in a brom axil by my first original pair that are no longer with me and when I want to get him out I trashed a very nice Neo. olens to retrieve him.It's kinda cool having a 3rd generation frog come out of the water from frogs you have raised yourself :D
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had good luck with using clear test tubes. The frogs seem tohave ahard time seeing it come down over them. Granted this doesn't work for the big guys, but then youhave the rear leg grab ;)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I use a clear tumbler sized glass to catch my leucs. Pick something with a wide mouth, and then place it down over them and use something stiff to seal off the bottom and lift. I like the tumbler sized glasses because if they don't want to come out, it's easy to stick your finger (or a popcicle stick) in to give them a nudge.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use a long tube (about 12") that was a lift tube for an undergravel filter
to catch small froglets. This works really well for my imitator and tricolor
froglets. The foglets seem to have a difficult time seeing the clear tube,
and just climb up the tube. I leave both ends of the tube open so if they
do not come out of the tube when I get them to their new enclosure, I just
spray a bit of water into the tube to break the surface tension and the
froglet slides out. I used to use an old fruit fly culture tube (like used by
Carolina Biological) but the ability to flush the animal from the tube VS
banging them out is a little more gentle and I prefer to use this method. Hope this helps.
Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts