·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new digital camera..and trying to post a pic for the first time here

G

·
0 Posts
Nice! Please post some details about the setup, it looks great! How did you do the water feature?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok here goes
Tank is a 29 high. lighting is 4x55watt cf in a custom hood with one 4" fan. Water feature was made by cutting a section from the walls of a bucket ( figure A) this section II perforated by drilling many holes to allow for watedr circulation. I added another piece also fron the bucket side wall to the top of the first piece to make a small section of stream.

I then siliconed this in place and added a 3/4" hose verticle behind it against the back glass of the viv (figure B) this would allow for a smaller 1/2" hose to fit inside of it and make replacing rthe pump hose easier.

(figure C) Once these pieces cured I used great stuff to form a waterfall ofd sorts. As the grreat stuff cured i would just come back to it from time to time and by pinching and poking at different parts gave it a rock like look.

I finished the water feature off by painting it with non-toxic spray paint of variuos shades working from dark to light.

The back exposed glass and left side glass--- I used a thick bark from a local tree (not sure what type tree it was) this was siliconed in place and I cut and shaped pieces to fit and cover all of the glass.

As a substrate I used river gravel from home depot (about a 3-5 inch layer) this acts as a great filtering medium for the water. on top of this I put a layer of peat moss. tank houses a Citronella tinc and has been running about 3 years.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Very nice

Very nice tank Bob. I wouldn't have guessed it was a 29 tall by looking at the pic. It looks to be much bigger. What kinds of plants do you have in there.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments. I am not sure of all the plants. There are a few epiphytes and various house plants, an orchid that I recently introduced etc. The main thing I think allot of people overlook when planting a Viv is scale. I am still trying to get mine right, but always try to keep the scale of plants to each other and to the tank in mind. A 5 gal tank with a 12” Brom planted in it would just never look right.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts