Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi, there's a caresheet that talks a little bit about anthonyi/tricolors in the caresheet subforum.

Tricolor tadpoles can be raised communally, in a plastic shoebox container with spring water. Someone else can chime in on what exactly they feed their tads, because I don't know whether they take algae or protein-based diets

·
Banned
777 Posts
I keep my tads in 190oz containers with oak leaf liter in the bottom. My understanding is the they are mainly veggie eaters. I have had great success feeding a combo of spirulina. Chlorella, and
Naturose. Great for emerging froglet coloration though. I have read that Anthonyi tads are detritus eaters so more leaves you have decaying the more they'll have to eat.
I have used the high protein fish food and have better luck with the above. Have read that most people avoid algae at all costs.
Clean water has been important (spring water like arrowhead or crystal geyser).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am by no means an expert on this subject, but from what I have gathered they need a high protein diet including Astaxanthin & Beta Carotene (and other naturally occurring color enhancers). I've just recently started raising some Anthonyi tads myself and am feeding them Omega One Super Color Flakes, HBH Frog & Tadpole Bites, New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula, frozen Plankton & frozen Cyclops.

I am keeping 6 tads in about 2 gallons of semi-shallow (2-3" deep) water that I steeped Indian Almond leaf in (provides nutrients and tannins). After steeping the almond leaf, I dropped half of it in the bottom of the container with the tads, and the other half I put in a gallon of water that I use daily to change a small amount of water in the tad's container (I just skim the surface of their container and top it off with the leaf water). There's also a layer of other small leaves in the bottom of the tad's container, as well as a few plant cuttings floating.

This has worked for me so far...I had my first pollywog walk on land today! :D

Best of luck!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I keep my tads in 190oz containers with oak leaf liter in the bottom. My understanding is the they are mainly veggie eaters.
how thick is the layer? are they on the bottom? how do you keep them down???

Also, I remember reading that what you think is them eating the leaf, is actually them feeding on the diatoms found on leaves and on the ide of cups...

but as other have said, high protein diet, that does NOT include algae...i don't think they are algae eaters...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts