Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went and checked in on my theloderma asperum breeding chamber and found one of the older tads feeding on something hanging vertically in the water. Im pretty sure its a mushroom that has fallen from the Peice of wood in the tank. now i know this probably really depends on the type of mushroom but should i be concerned. the tad was really going to town aggressively tearing at it.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
should be just fine. I wouldnt worry at all. The really toxic mushrooms wouldnt be popping up in your viv, as Galerinas and Amanitas are not really capable of fruiting in a viv environment
Besides, if it liked it that much, Id encourage more of that behavior if I could

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Iv had a few others pop up in there and just disappear and i never thought about the tads feeding on them untill i saw it today. Im sure if they aren't dangerous they are probably a good food source.

Now what do you think about useing fresh mushrooms like sashimi as part of a tad diet. Just a tiny Peice for them to pick at?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
experimentation is a big part of the hobby. Id say try some organic mushrooms and see how it goes. just a tiny piece should do. If it gets eaten great... if not, no big deal

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Time to try some fresh organic grown mushrooms i guess. i pick up sashimi all the time from a local organic food store so those will be first on the list.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i don't plan on making it a big part of the diet and i do feed a high protein diet for these guys. Just a Peice here and there if it turns out they like it

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
mushrooms can have up to 35%protien DRY WEIGHT.....so you could feed dry shrooms and calculate the % protien they are recieving that way

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
since mushrooms are about 90 % water, any nutritional value obtained from them has to be measured from a dry weight basis. It will rehydrate as soon as it hits the water anyways... Im just saying that you have to base nutritional value from the dry weight.
Like already mentioned, its probably not a good staple, but definitely a good snack

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got ya. Waist of time dehydrating then. I kinda thought that when i thought about them going back into water.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts