Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
D. Leucomelas - E. Anthonyi - D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a vendor selling dicksonia fibrosa and dicksonia squarossa trunks, and I was wondering if this is a suitable hardscape element (specifically for tinctorius), compared to something like corkrounds and driftwood. Does anyone have experience with these? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
It's my understanding that these tree ferns' trunks should function the same way as the tree fern fiber panels do, though I'm not clear on which tree fern species are harvested for the panels. There are at least two types in the hobby, one being darker, and more rigid and coarse, the other being lighter, finer and much more easily broken, cut to size, crumbled, etc. Both are excellent for growing mosses and epiphytes. I have never used a whole trunk, as I've never seen one for sale, but I imagine you could use it exactly the same way as a cork round.

I don't keep tincs, so I can't really answer with their specific behaviors in mind, but I would think that it would be a suitable material, provided it's of the finer, softer sort, or is well established with mosses, etc. It could be coarse enough that it could scuff their skin, so it's probably a good idea to judge the texture against your own skin. Is it a little bumpy, or is it downright sharp and poking you? It probably depends largely on your orientation, and how well grown in any mosses will be on its surface before adding frogs, beyond its initial coarseness. That would be my approach to estimating its suitability, anyway.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The ones I bought years ago were very heavy, actually too heavy for my application as a branch glued at a 90° angle on a side wall...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Treefern fiber is a perfect material for hardscapes, dutchrana uses it as well if I am not mistaken.

I have read some things about the trees being over harvested for these panels and a lack of growers who grow these tree specifically for the panels.
So there seem to be a few sustainability issues with these panels. I could not find the source where I found this information, but maybe someone can chime in about this.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's my understanding that these tree ferns' trunks should function the same way as the tree fern fiber panels do
Meaning, as a decorational element for growing plants?

I don't keep tincs, so I can't really answer with their specific behaviors in mind, but I would think that it would be a suitable material, provided it's of the finer, softer sort, or is well established with mosses, etc. It could be coarse enough that it could scuff their skin, so it's probably a good idea to judge the texture against your own skin. Is it a little bumpy, or is it downright sharp and poking you? It probably depends largely on your orientation, and how well grown in any mosses will be on its surface before adding frogs, beyond its initial coarseness. That would be my approach to estimating its suitability, anyway.
That's smart

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Treefern fiber is a perfect material for hardscapes, dutchrana uses it as well if I am not mistaken.

I have read some things about the trees being over harvested for these panels and a lack of growers who grow these tree specifically for the panels.
So there seem to be a few sustainability issues with these panels. I could not find the source where I found this information, but maybe someone can chime in about this.
I'll shoot them an email to ask, thanks!
And yes, tree ferns are quite endangered from overharvesting and deforestation. Although the shop that I found sells sustainably grown ones I think.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Meaning, as a decorational element for growing plants?
Effectively, yes, and as a springtail refugium, also. Their fibers should still wick water the same as the panels.

The panels, the trunks, and the tree fern fiber in ABG mix are all roughly the same thing, just in differently processed forms- board, log, and crushed, respectively.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts