Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.What species ? How long have you had the frog(s) and where did you acquire them ?

Tree frogs, 10 days. Pet smart

2. What are your temperatures (day and night - highs and lows) and how do you measure those temperatures? What lighting is on the enclosure (brand, type, wattage) and does the lighting add heat to the vivarium? Does the vivarium have any other supplemental heating?

The tank is always at 80 and the humidity changes often so I keep up with it to make sure it’s okay, I cant rember the exact name of the products but there is a heat lamp and a UV lamp

3. What is the Humidity like (percentage or guesstimate)? What type of water are you using? Describe your tank/enclosure and its lid or top, and give details about the ventilation (how many vents, where are they positioned, how large are they).

There’s a vent on the top

4. What kind of food are you providing, how much and are you dusting it? What superfine powdered supplements (brand and exact product name) are you using and are they fresh ?

Meal worms and cricts yes there fresh

5. Any other animals in the enclosure currently or recently? Tankmates / other frogs ?
there’s only two frogs
6. Any type of behavior you would consider 'odd' ?
No not really
7. Have you handled or touched the frogs recently ? Any cleansers, paint, perfumes, bug sprays etc near the tank ?
Yes I touched them a lot
8. Can you take pictures of EVERYTHING ? The frogs, the enclosure ? Take numerous pics of everything - that will be of great help.
My camera is broken right now

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Oh you didn’t have to make a new thread! :)

I would also like to mention I’ve had no experience with tree frogs so please, any mistakes are crucial and need to be pointed out if you find them.
First, what species of tree frog? If you don’t know the there is not to much hope for us to figure out. Next, Petsmart isn’t the most reliable place to get your amphibians and reptiles. Now I’m no supporter of PETA but they have multiple videos of abuse there. Then, do you have a humidity gauge? Humidity is SUPER important for amphibians. Plus if you do, please tell us what the range is usually. After that, do you dust your food with calcium? Calcium is essential to a frog life. Repashy Calcium Plus is what most people use. Dust everything everyday. Lastly, do you have any substances that could potentially be dangerous nearby? Bug spray, cleaning supplies, etc, and etc.
Once your camera is fixed please send pictures to this thread. This is IMPORTANT.

Anyways, thanks for reading this and again, I’ve had experience with dart frogs and crested geckos and that’s it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pet smart
I like what @FroggerFrog said and unfortunately Petsmart and Petco just arent good places to buy animals. They are often kept in terrible conditions and undergo a lot of stress.
Yes I touched them a lot
This is the other main issue I see. As you might know, frogs breathe partially through their skin so handling them often is not really the best thing to do especially with a stressed frog you got ten days ago from petsmart.

What type of treefrog is it? Tree frog is a pretty broad term.
Also please do try and send a picture of the enclosure if you can get your camera fixed.

Overall I know the death of a pet can be hard so Im sorry this happened but I do not ever recommend buying animals from Petsmart and Petco. The other thing is that frogs aren't great handleable pets so if you want an animal you can touch maybe look into something else like a lizard or something that's up to you.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
I like what @FroggerFrog said and unfortunately Petsmart and Petco just arent good places to buy animals. They are often kept in terrible conditions and undergo a lot of stress.

This is the other main issue I see. As you might know, frogs breathe partially through their skin so handling them often is not really the best thing to do especially with a stressed frog you got ten days ago from petsmart.

What type of treefrog is it? Tree frog is a pretty broad term.
Also please do try and send a picture of the enclosure if you can get your camera fixed.

Overall I know the death of a pet can be hard so Im sorry this happened but I do not ever recommend buying animals from Petsmart and Petco. The other thing is that frogs aren't great handleable pets so if you want an animal you can touch maybe look into something else like a lizard or something that's up to you.
So I should mention that I actually bought my crested gecko from Petco as a last minute resort after I couldn’t go to a reptile convention. He’s doing great besides sometimes being asleep till 10:30 P.M. Not saying you should buy from these places but that there is hope sometimes. Besides that, I only buy some supplies for my fish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I should mention that I actually bought my crested gecko from Petco as a last minute resort after I couldn’t go to a reptile convention. He’s doing great besides sometimes being asleep till 10:30 P.M. Not saying you should buy from these places but that there is hope sometimes. Besides that, I only buy some supplies for my fish.
I don't expect everything to die or they would be out of buisness, I have a rosy boa from there that I've had for like six years and its great. However, Ive also heard far too many stories of stuff dying from friends and seen the terrible conditions stuff is kept in there. I just stay away and support my local reptile shop and attend expos instead.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't expect everything to die or they would be out of buisness, I have a rosy boa from there that I've had for like six years and its great. However, Ive also heard far too many stories of stuff dying from friends and seen the terrible conditions stuff is kept in there. I just stay away and support my local reptile shop and attend expos instead.
I refused to get fish there and opted out on my local pet store. Who knows what they’ve got in their systems.

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
The frogs have already been purchased. Can't change that.

@Animefan , please do get some photos ASAP, and update with the species of frog. There isn't enough info to help otherwise, and there are many things that could be contributing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A Long long (long) time ago I worked at a Petco (I was young and didn't know any better). I can attest to pretty shoddy reptile care. From my experience there and Animefan's mention of handling the frogs a lot it would not surprise me if these are White's tree frogs, though I wouldn't recommend care advice without confirmation.

While excessive handling of the frog has been brought up as a possible stressor having seen the care they receive at Petco's the frog could have been "on it's way out" for awhile. Those enclosures are a breeding ground for pathogens and poor health. When I first started I jumped right into getting the enclosures "up to par" and found multiple deceased animals on my deep clean. A couple dead baby leopard geckoes that obviously died of impaction (goodbye vita-sand, hello reptile carpet), a dead baby corn snake, but the White's tree frog frog enclosure was the worst - Multiple dead frogs at varying levels of decomposition/desiccation (yep in a "humid" enclosure).

Hopefully OP can get some photos up and ID the species to get the right care advice!

·
Registered
524 Posts
A Long long (long) time ago I worked at a Petco (I was young and didn't know any better). I can attest to pretty shoddy reptile care. From my experience there and Animefan's mention of handling the frogs a lot it would not surprise me if these are White's tree frogs, though I wouldn't recommend care advice without confirmation.

While excessive handling of the frog has been brought up as a possible stressor having seen the care they receive at Petco's the frog could have been "on it's way out" for awhile. Those enclosures are a breeding ground for pathogens and poor health. When I first started I jumped right into getting the enclosures "up to par" and found multiple deceased animals on my deep clean. A couple dead baby leopard geckoes that obviously died of impaction (goodbye vita-sand, hello reptile carpet), a dead baby corn snake, but the White's tree frog frog enclosure was the worst - Multiple dead frogs at varying levels of decomposition/desiccation (yep in a "humid" enclosure).

Hopefully OP can get some photos up and ID the species to get the right care advice!
Was this off-limits or was it the ones on display. Either way, that’s just gross and sad.

·
Registered
97 Posts

That sounds absolutely horrible. My Petco’s land animals have never looked very healthy to me (thin ball pythons, sick leopard geckos, impacted beardies, dehydrated & stressed crested geckos, etc...), but I didn’t know that there could’ve been actual DEAD ANIMALS in those awful enclosures.

Oddly enough, the fish section in that same Petco is actually wonderful. The fish are all healthy, they use live plants, they refuse sales on fish if your tank is too small/uncycled, and they have a huge selection (apistogrammas, rosy loaches, different rasboras, and other slightly less common fish mixed in with the basic danios, goldfish, barbs, and other stuff). I just wish they put that same effort into their land creatures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was this off-limits or was it the ones on display. Either way, that’s just gross and sad.
These were the enclosures on display. And yeah it was. I'd like to think I did some good there with all the changes, but realistically by keeping more animals long enough to sell I probably just increased profit margins and with it how many more animals they ordered. :/

That sounds absolutely horrible. My Petco’s land animals have never looked very healthy to me (thin ball pythons, sick leopard geckos, impacted beardies, dehydrated & stressed crested geckos, etc...), but I didn’t know that there could’ve been actual DEAD ANIMALS in those awful enclosures.

Oddly enough, the fish section in that same Petco is actually wonderful. The fish are all healthy, they use live plants, they refuse sales on fish if your tank is too small/uncycled, and they have a huge selection (apistogrammas, rosy loaches, different rasboras, and other slightly less common fish mixed in with the basic danios, goldfish, barbs, and other stuff). I just wish they put that same effort into their land creatures.
That seems pretty common, the optimist in me likes to think that demonstrates employees really dedicated to better aquaria care, the realist thinks it probably has more to do with how much more visible dead fish would be, and how much more profitable that entire department is.

It's been awhile since i've even been into one, but on a positive note I have seemed to notice the minimum standards of care get a little better. A lot of the things that I had to argue for or do on my own now seem to be standard practice. (Reptile carpet in all desert enclosures, feeding snakes pre-killed mice individually outside the enclosure, minimal handling of amphibians - people asked more than you'd expect, and real humidity gauges/proper misting)

IMO big box stores should do away with carrying anything more complicated than an (adult) leopard gecko.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As other people have said, the most likely cause is stress from handling as well as being sourced from Petsmart. Often times those frogs will be WC, which causes so many problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts