Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only gotten into darts in the past 6 months or so, and as much as I love their diurnal activities I'll always have a special place in my heart for my tree frogs/monkey frogs.
I know this website is called DENDROboard, but I truly admire many of the nocturnal frogs colors and temperaments.
I feel as if these frogs are sometimes under represented.. Maybe its because they can only be viewed roaming around the cage after dark. Or maybe its because they typically sell for less and are not as easily bred? But regardless of the reasoning I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures for others to enjoy.
Hopefully you can add more of your own!

The first species I started many years ago as a kid: Pacific Chorus Frogs (Not nocturnal.)

The first tropical frogs that started it all for me a mere 12 months ago: Red Eyed Leaf Frog

These frogs are not the best beginner frogs I came to find out. They are very sensitive to say the least, but boy are they stunning.

And the frog that got gave me my first clutch(s) of eggs: Phyllomedusa Hypochondrialis

Little tiny guy! (Although he morphed 3 times larger than his brothers.)

And quite possibly my favorite frogs: Phyllomedusa Tomopterna. I have 6 full grown adults now, just getting them ready for breeding. :)

I also have w/c clown tree frogs that I hope to add pictures of as well.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've recently been bitten by the tree frog bug. Though I don't have any now, I plan to aquire a group of D. ebraccatus, and some P. Tomopterna. However, my holy grail for these is Chriomantis xerampelina. Anybody working with these?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recall seeing anyone working with the foam nest frogs although I'm sure they're out there.
My next huge build is going to be for a breeding group of milk frogs. I picked up a 36 x 36 x 24 exo terra for $40 bucks at a show! Now I just gotta find some adults!

Reactions: brinkerh420

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I would like to share pics of my GTF...
Yeah I know they are like some of the cheapest and not sought after that much but they were my companions and I like them lol.
Besides....they are tree frogs and I sure appreciated them :D

this is Bob...he was the boldest one always calling and climbing onto my hand. He was my fav. Always bright, docile, bold, and was the most vocal. Always calling.

Ernie, he was the runt(smallest)

Earl, he rarely ever went fully green. He was the shy laid back one.
He had spots at times once he got to a certain shade they would really show up.

Bob and Earl at feeding time. Earl spots a cricket.

Earl and Ernie at feeding time. Earl just got him one lol

here is a gray tree frog Kurdt I had back when I was about 16, 10 years ago haha.
I think he was my first tree frog.
I took these pics, developed the film and prints myself.
Schools budget was low so we could only do B/W pics in photography class.
Brown spots are form not leaving it in the neutralizing bath long enough and just rushing it and being impatient :p

He was nice and plump :D

I have some vids of Bob calling if anyone is interested thread said pics but if it is ok with the OP/FrogFever and ya wanna see them I have 2 to post

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks! The female Calcarifer is pretty large, maybe a little larger than a female red eye. You should see my female black eye though, she gives the male bicolor a run for his money in snout to vent length. Of course not as hefty but a very large frog nonetheless. I hear the yellow eyes get pretty large as well, mine are still tiny little guys. I can't wait for them to get bigger and color up like Seth's group!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ive seen some calcarifer group the frogs where about 3 times size of that one full grown adults

Thanks! The female Calcarifer is pretty large, maybe a little larger than a female red eye. You should see my female black eye though, she gives the male bicolor a run for his money in snout to vent length. Of course not as hefty but a very large frog nonetheless. I hear the yellow eyes get pretty large as well, mine are still tiny little guys. I can't wait for them to get bigger and color up like Seth's group!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts