Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just bought some tree fern and sphagnum moss which I am going to mix with eco earth to make the background of my new viv. My question is what is the best way to sterilize them.

1. Boil
2. Bake
3. Bleach
4. Something else

Thanks!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I have read of people using tree fern, and others using eco earth but no posts of people mixing them. If you have an have pictures that would be awesome!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Make it moist (very little water will do) and microwave until steaming usually under a min work in small batches

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
spend $50 on a pressure cooker
or make friends with someone who has access to an autoclave

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you get them hot enough to sterilize them, then you are also going to kill any spores that are in them, which reduces the types of ferns and mosses that may grow (provided they are kept under bright lights).

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Ed would you recommend not sterilizing them.
I don't.. good quality sphagnum mosses have been rinsed and cleaned to some level and then dried. This makes it a low risk for anything we would be worried about. Imported plant products are also generally fumigated to reduce the chance of plant pests which adds another layer of protection (assuming your getting the good stuff from New Zealand or Chile).

Tree fern fiber is also typically stored dry and again fumigated before importation.

Some comments

Ed

Reactions: SteveR
1 - 8 of 8 Posts