Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this board for some time and gaining valuable information (thank you) but I haven't come across a toxic plant/material list.

Are there any plants or substrate material we should avoid? Not just ones that won't make it in the moist environment, but any that could contribute to toxicity of the frogs?

(and forgive me for a newbie question :wink: )

·
Registered
378 Posts
Your frogs wont be eating the plants, so most "toxic" plants should be fine.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you feed crickets or any insect that will feed on the plants, then you do have to worry about it. I don't feed anything but FF and springtails to my darts so I don't worry about it in my dart tanks. However, the Croton plants are considered poisonous if ingested. We have them in our tanks, but again, not if you feed crickets because the crickets munch on the plants. I really don't know of other plants to worry about. So if you are really worried about it, stay away from Crotons, or just don't feed anything that munches on plants.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

Backtoeight, that's exactly what I had in mind. I have a couple tree frogs now that I raised from tadpoles and I feed 1/8th inch crickets and FF (they're still babies). I know the crickets do munch on the plants I have in there and worry about this with my future dendro tank. I know some tropical plants secrete plant oils and was wondering if that has ever presented a problem for the darts. Especially if the plants are toxic.

I will be sure to stay away from the crotons. THANK YOU for the heads up. :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had the same exact question at first and was suprised that no one really knows how to answer it. There is not another type of plant that I have heard of as being a problem, except the obvious like a cactus or something sharp that can cut your frogs. As far as toxicity goes, I don't know of any others. And even the crotons are okay if you don't feed crickets. IF you look at tank pics you will see a lot of crotons in dart tanks. I certainly stay away from them in my other frogs tanks, though.

There has been debates about carnivorous plants. Even the sundews and butterworts, which secrete juices, have never been known to harm the frogs that I am aware of. I have them in my tanks and have for a year.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
You aren't finding these lists because there aren't any plants that we use that are harmful to our frogs, thus no need for a list.

I wouldn't worry too much about croton. There are actually a good number of plants we use in our tanks that pop up on toxic to humans and housepet lists, but the key thing to note is that these plants are only toxic if INGESTED.

As mentioned before, the only issue could be crickets, but I've not heard of this happening, and I fed crickets exclusively to my frogs for years with plants in the tank that were toxic. A couple things to take into account with crickets... with larger frogs you can nip the hopper legs and bowl feed them (this is highly recomended) but you can't do this with smaller pinheads. Also, if you feed them on a regular basis, feed them mainly to frogs that will really hunt them down... like the epipedobates and phyllobates over say... tinc group frogs. If you have leaf litter, agitate it occassionally to scare any extra crickets out. Also, stick a peice of fruit or sweet potato on a yogurt lid in the tank... crickets will flock to it for food and are much less likely to munch your plants with a more preferable food source available, and thus not ingest toxins.

If you're still worried about the toxins, then either don't feed crickets, or don't use any plants listed as toxic to humans or housepets (a quick google search will give you these lists).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry for posting wrong information, i was just told there was no possibility of it happening(i had this question at one time and was told that), never thought about the crickets and feeders though.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
The information you posted was generally correct, the change of any toxicity getting to the frogs is really low, to the point where its easily said that the frogs don't eat the plants, so the toxic plants don't mean anything to the frogs. We're talking an extremely low probibly that the crickets would pass something on.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hmmmm..... I remember a post months ago about a group of Pums that died due to a toxic plant. I don't have the patience to search for it but I'm 100% positive it exists. The poster posted a pic of the plant and all the experts agreed it was the plant.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just looked at that thread and at the pic of the plant in question. I have one of those in ym tank and it has been there for about 10 months. I don't think the plant was the problem in that case, unless the plant was not cleaned well or something like that. The plant itself is not harmful.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I myself have never seen a cricket munch on a Croton leave or any others like Philodendron, Scindapsus or other toxic tropicals. Like Corey, I too fed crickets exclusively to my medium sized tree frog collection and never once had a problem.

That said, there are plants that secrete substances when cut that are toxic and I'd imagine wouldn't go well with the porosity of a frogs skin. Even this is still an unlikely occurance though.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Another thing to think about with "toxic" plants... they taste nasty. They taste nasty for a reason. It's very likely the crickets think they taste nasty too (that is, after all, the reason these plants use so much energy in making themselves taste nasty, so they are less likely to be eaten).

I still say bowl feeding is the way to go, but its more to do with the benefits of the frogs getting all the crickets (rather than some hiding out for a while) and even getting them while they are still dusted ways more heavily in favor rather than the whole crickets not eating the toxic plants deal.

The plant in the thread in question is perfectly suitable for use in frog tanks. I use those plants (BTW, the berries are actually the really toxic part, and you don't see them too often) and I know a good number of other froggers that use them as well. If the plant played any part in the death of the frogs it was what was ON the plant (chemicals like fertilizers that were not cleaned off before the plant was put in the tank) not the plant itself.

·
Registered
639 Posts
KeroKero said:
There are actually a good number of plants we use in our tanks that pop up on toxic to humans and housepet lists, but the key thing to note is that these plants are only toxic if INGESTED.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that pothos (devils ivy) are one of these "toxic if ingested" plants... and we use those all the time. So I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I do too have used pothos, peace lilies, and philodendron for all my tanks without issues. Its the dumbcane plant that has caused me to have a little concern because of the sap I hear is very poisonous. However, I have used it in my mantella tank for a long time without frogs getting ill or anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts