Dendroboard banner

Tough Decision

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  johnyrocks 
#1 ·
So my family and I are moving to a larger house, therefore more space. They said I can get some more frogs. I had two ideas: do a 55 gallon "display" tank or get 4 12x12x18 Exo-Terra tanks. Which one do you think I should do?

Thanks,
Max

#3 ·
i have a 55 with a group of leucs, and i gotta say i don't really like the dimensions compared to other options for frogs... the tank is 4' long, but only 1' deep... not a lot of space depthwise for the frogs once you put in a background and furnishing... even though there's a lot of floor space inside, it just feels like they're mushed up against the front glass.

i like doug's idea for a couple of the midsize exos... 18" cubes aren't bad... or if you want more vert space, 18x18x24s are really cool tanks.

just my opinion,
brett

#6 ·
I have two 12x12x18's, and when they are built out, you're not looking at much floor space. Also, they are more difficult to regulate temperature, IMO. They warm up a lot when the light is on, and cool down quickly if the nights are cold.

I also have two 18x18x24's, and that's a really nice size. And much more manageable.

Greg

Reactions: Pumilo
#8 ·
18x18x24 is a really good size IMO. It has plenty of floor space once it's been built out and fixed up how you want it, and it has a good amount of height, so you can build up and put some elevated areas in the tank with some bromeliads and such, which thumbnails seem to like.

#9 ·
It depends on the type of frogs that you want to keep but my first choice would be the
24x18x18 (wide)
followed by the
18x18x24 (tall)
I wouldn't use the 12x12x18 for any frogs if I started over.

I currently have frogs in all three size builds (single frog in the 12x12x18) and I like the floor space in the wide viv better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.