Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family and I are moving to a larger house, therefore more space. They said I can get some more frogs. I had two ideas: do a 55 gallon "display" tank or get 4 12x12x18 Exo-Terra tanks. Which one do you think I should do?

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Max, 12 x 12 is an awfully small size for frogs. I would have to say either the display, or 3, 18 X 12's. Maybe 2 - 24 x 12's.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i have a 55 with a group of leucs, and i gotta say i don't really like the dimensions compared to other options for frogs... the tank is 4' long, but only 1' deep... not a lot of space depthwise for the frogs once you put in a background and furnishing... even though there's a lot of floor space inside, it just feels like they're mushed up against the front glass.

i like doug's idea for a couple of the midsize exos... 18" cubes aren't bad... or if you want more vert space, 18x18x24s are really cool tanks.

just my opinion,
brett

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Get a 90 or 75 gal.

*edit*
I realize that I didn't answer your question. If given the choice between your two options, I would get a 55. However, see my reply above.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am getting thumbs for sure so I have heard that those Exo's work fine for them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have two 12x12x18's, and when they are built out, you're not looking at much floor space. Also, they are more difficult to regulate temperature, IMO. They warm up a lot when the light is on, and cool down quickly if the nights are cold.

I also have two 18x18x24's, and that's a really nice size. And much more manageable.

Greg

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
275 Posts
18x18x24 is a really good size IMO. It has plenty of floor space once it's been built out and fixed up how you want it, and it has a good amount of height, so you can build up and put some elevated areas in the tank with some bromeliads and such, which thumbnails seem to like.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It depends on the type of frogs that you want to keep but my first choice would be the
24x18x18 (wide)
followed by the
18x18x24 (tall)
I wouldn't use the 12x12x18 for any frogs if I started over.

I currently have frogs in all three size builds (single frog in the 12x12x18) and I like the floor space in the wide viv better.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
All I keep are thumbnails and pumilios. I would not keep either in a 12 x 12.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I decided on going with the display tank. I will be posting a build journal soon.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The hobby is so addictive that there are always some new species you want to own :D
Think one big display should be a juwel in the collection :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts