Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK im a total NEWBIE!! And right about now I have no clue where to start. I want to get started correctly so im open to any and all ideas.

THanks
Matt

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
For the most part, darts are so new (less than 20 years in the hobby, and only 10 in any real numbers), that everyone on this board is a newbie. So you're in good company.

IMHO, the first real step is to consider exactly what type of darts you want, then build a tank to fit their needs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok and i've spent the last about 6 hrs sitting here reading......theres a ton of species!!! :shock:

SO far it looks like the D. azureus are good starters, im also interested in the D. tinctorius(cobalt?) as well.

Is there a specific design Viv that seems to fit the general needs of these two species? tank specs? Anyone that makes quality Viv's to fit the beginner breeder needs?

Anyone local that i can get in contact with and can help get me started? Does anyone know of any local shops in OH?

THanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Matt,

We live in Groveport (south of Columbus) - Kyle also lives in Columbus. Cobalts are a very nice starter.

Melis

outlawvizsla said:
ok and i've spent the last about 6 hrs sitting here reading......theres a ton of species!!! :shock:

SO far it looks like the D. azureus are good starters, im also interested in the D. tinctorius(cobalt?) as well.

Is there a specific design Viv that seems to fit the general needs of these two species? tank specs? Anyone that makes quality Viv's to fit the beginner breeder needs?

Anyone local that i can get in contact with and can help get me started? Does anyone know of any local shops in OH?

THanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a pair of cobalts, and even with all my other frogs, they are still one of my favorites. If you want to get started with a pair patrick nabors at http://www.saurian.net has azureus pairs and cobalt pairs available. I got a pair of cobalts about 4 months ago, and they started laying around a month and half ago. In tincs, and azureus females can be aggressive toward each other, so to avoid that problem a pair might be a good idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Melissa68,

Wow...thats cool if were 10 miles from each other i'd be shocked. And you are correct the "Vizsla" in my user name is refering to the Hungarian Vizsla. My wife and I currently have one Vizsla - Dusty, which i used to run in field trials and hunt tests and currently my wife is working with him in agility and competing in that. Will probably be getting our second vizsla this december after waiting two and a half years :roll:

OK anyway back to the topic....im thinking the cobalts may be a cool route to go. Good color, good beginner species.

Now where to start as far as tanks go? Im sure i might eventually want to get into breeding and eventually have multiple species.....is it better to go the cube Viv route on some sort of shelving system? or run several 20 gal tanks? premade or DIY pros/cons? What about lighting? I used to run salt water reef tanks and still have my 36" hood w/ 1 96watt 10,000k coralife daylight PC(power compact) and 1 96watt actinic PC, Plus I have another 36" hood w/ 2 65 watt coralife 50/50 PC bulbs.....are these total over kill???

THanks,
Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Melissa,

i know what you mean, Dusty is 5 1/2 and i swear he still has the energy of a puppy. Vizslas and GSP are absolutly wonderful dogs.

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Matt and Melis--

I prefer Weimaraners :D

Check out the gallery at frognet.org I've gotten lots of ideas for the setup of tanks from that place. Most of the galleries will say "this tank is for my.." so you can get an idea of which frogs like what. Also, saurian.net has nice information about the species and their habits, as do many other sites. I've had good support from Saurian even though I haven't even gotten my frogs yet.

You may want to spend another 6 hours looking through the Members' Vivariums thread here, too. It will be worth it, with lots of pics and information.

I will say that tincs and azureus are more terrestrial frogs, so might prefer long tanks over tall tanks. I'm not sure if the coral likes the same light as the the plants. I don't even use compacts-I have a 4ft rack with a 4ft flourescent shop light rigged with one 6500K bulb and one full spectrum bulb to stretch across all of the tanks. My plants are VERY happy.

But if you start out with one long tank for now, you can just put the sunglo flourescent lights in your hood, and that also has worked for me just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lydia,

I think Im going to start shopping around for a rack and some tanks I have a few ideas from what i've seen hopefully in a month or so i'll have the tanks up and cultures up and running and ready for darts.

Found some very cool species id like to eventually get into but for now i'll probably stick to the tincs and azures.

Currently with the 10k daylight bulds in the 36' hoods its probably to much blue light for the plants...probably would need to switch them out for 6700k PC bulbs.

thanks for the info.

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jared,

Yup its yet another addiction I have. :wink: currenty flying 2-evo 50's and a Fury Extreme. Only reason I used it as an avatar....i dont have any frogs.....YET!!

Matt

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
All you people with helis and cars, what about boats?! lol I have a tunnel haul, nitro, runs 50 mph, has a valvoline paint job. I love it.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts