Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm seeing these guys appear everywhere. They are "farmed" or "WC" depending on who you ask.

It looks skinny in most pictures, worse his front arms look a bit weak. It could be stress, shipping, etc. I'd suggest keeping him somewhere with spring tails in abundance, and make sure he is eating. It may also have been a lack of vitamin A that got him to this state. Might be worth dusting with some Repashy Vit A once a week for a couple weeks as well, in case he is having some problems eating due to a lack of it (it can cause issues with their tongue). Try to observe it eating, see if it swallows what it catches or if it takes a few times. The latter can indicate a Vit A deficiency.

Is it with other frogs? The stress on these WC ones often lets internal parasites run rampant a bit. Good diet and rest and they can usually overcome, but I'd keep this frog far away from the rest of your collection while you QT!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm seeing these guys appear everywhere. They are "farmed" or "WC" depending on who you ask.

It looks skinny in most pictures, worse his front arms look a bit weak. It could be stress, shipping, etc. I'd suggest keeping him somewhere with spring tails in abundance, and make sure he is eating. It may also have been a lack of vitamin A that got him to this state. Might be worth dusting with some Repashy Vit A once a week for a couple weeks as well, in case he is having some problems eating due to a lack of it (it can cause issues with their tongue). Try to observe it eating, see if it swallows what it catches or if it takes a few times. The latter can indicate a Vit A deficiency.

Is it with other frogs? The stress on these WC ones often lets internal parasites run rampant a bit. Good diet and rest and they can usually overcome, but I'd keep this frog far away from the rest of your collection while you QT!
I saw him eat today and he didn’t seem to have any issues catching dusted fruit flies. I’ve separated him and put him in a different room. I dropped a BUNCH of springtails from my culture into his quarantine tank and a bunch of dusted fruit flies. I have 4 of these WC blue jeans imported from Costa Rica and the other 3 are plump happy frogs. Hopefully with some quarantine time this one can recover.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I saw him eat today and he didn’t seem to have any issues catching dusted fruit flies. I’ve separated him and put him in a different room. I dropped a BUNCH of springtails from my culture into his quarantine tank and a bunch of dusted fruit flies. I have 4 of these WC blue jeans imported from Costa Rica and the other 3 are plump happy frogs. Hopefully with some quarantine time this one can recover.
If they are all together, most certainly it is being bullied. They can be pretty mean if not in pairs.

If he is eating, he will do fine I think, but you may not want to introduce him back into the tank.

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
If these frogs were sold by one of the large general online herp suppliers (as I suspect they were), they all need to be QTd, fecal tested, PCV swabbed, and medicated as needed based on those tests before introducing them to their permanent viv.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If these frogs were sold by one of the large general online herp suppliers (as I suspect they were), they all need to be QTd, fecal tested, PCV swabbed, and medicated as needed based on those tests before introducing them to their permanent viv.
I bought them from a local herp store here in Arizona, reaaaaaallly wish they told me they were wild caught before I purchased otherwise I wouldn’t have purchased them. Considering how they priced them I thought they were captive bred. They also told me they were imported from Costa Rica not Nicaragua… I trust you guys though thank you for the correction. Frogs were $125 each so I assumed (stupidly) they were captive bred.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts