Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Where are you measuring the temperature?

There are reports in the hobby that Phyllobates have issues with jumps above 80 F.

Some of the montane species, this could also be a problem but wiith many lowland species temps in the low 80s should be fine. For example the Sipaliwini savanna where a number of tinctorius are found the mean average temperature is just over 80 F (see http://www.sipaliwinisavanna.com/docs/vegetation_sipaliwini_savanna.pdf )

Now the frogs in the wild can usually get away from this if they chose by retreating underground.. so this is why where the temperature is measured is important.

Ed

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok,the temp is measured in the upper part of the tank,i have a coco hut thats covered with an inch of kitty litter clay,would this provide a cooler area where the frogs could retreat to?

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Depending on the size of the tank, it could easily be more than ten degrees cooler on the bottom of the enclosure. The question you may want to consider is that if you are getting temps above 80 F now, what temps are you going to see once the warmer weather really gets here.

Ed

·
Registered
725 Posts
ya i'm having the same problem here in illinois. Temps in my room were 83 today. Luckily my frogs are still in a growout tank so i moved them downstairs. If temps are bad throughout the summer, i think i might move their future home in our living room or maybe downstairs. I'll have to work that out with my mom just because she has an irrational fear of fruit flies hahaha.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to jump in here and ask, if the tank is running at say 80 or 83 near the lights but is five-ten degrees or cooler on the ground is that ok? Is it ok to have basking spot temps near the top glass or is this a threat to arboreal species(or species that climb for that matter)?

·
Registered
596 Posts
ya i'm having the same problem here in illinois. Temps in my room were 83 today. Luckily my frogs are still in a growout tank so i moved them downstairs. If temps are bad throughout the summer, i think i might move their future home in our living room or maybe downstairs. I'll have to work that out with my mom just because she has an irrational fear of fruit flies hahaha.
the fruit flies don't have to be in the AC, just the frogs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts