Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning woke to one of my Auratus tads completely straightened out and hatched and wiggling around (12 days of development.) There are three others that haven't hatched yet. I flooded the petri dish and dumped the hatched tad into his little container with spring water and I also put a small peice of Almond oak leaf in there. I flooded the petri dish again in case the others hatch today since I will be gone all day.

When I was pouring him into his new home he was wiggling a lot. Now for the the last couple hours he hasn't moved at all and is just laying there on the bottom. I have read on hear that they may appear dead the first couple days of hatching but it's still unsettling.

Did I transfer the little guy too soon?

·
Registered
39 Posts
They tend to do that for about the first week, they are very lethargic...don't worry even though its hard not to! After the first week they will start to swim around a bit more.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've got 2 azureus eggs/tads that are going on 2 and a half weeks now without hatching. 12 days seems so quick, but I think the fact that he's alive (and acting dead ;)) is a sign that it's not too early for the little guy.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I think you are fine. Typically I let them get out, then once they straighten like you said, gently transfer them to water. They are still, but as long as they don't lie belly up they are normal.
Bryan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think your ok. On average most dart tads will hatch in 12-14 days. I've seen it happen in 10 and as long as 16. And like Bryan said just make sure they don't lie belly up but if they do check for movement before you write them off as dead.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A second one has hatched when I got home.

My next questions is, should I start feeding right away? I might have asked this too late as I have fed about 1 flake of the fish food pictured per tad. Would this food be ok? Its has 47% crude protein. There is also a small piece of indian almond leaf in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts