Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at setting up a tank for P. vittatus that will mimic a streambank with fallen wood debris, etc. I'm trying to choose between a 30 gal (36x12x17) or a standard 55 gal. I would prefer to use the 55 gal as lighting, landscaping, etc. will be much easier. My only concern is whether or not it would be too big for a few vitts. Is this a problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From a feeding standpoint, the 30 will be better for only a few frogs as the food won't scatter as far and be harder to find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see a problem with it.If you feed them from a certain spot they will figure it out when they see you close to their tank and probably be there waiting to feed or in the area.Their call is awesome!!! That would be a very cool tank for them.Put in a pair of Costa Rican auratus and have yourself a little peice of the country in your house.Show it off when you're done.
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it would be kind of true foodwise, but it really depends on how many frogs your getting. I think the more room the better, plus you could always keep a piece of fruit on a tray and that would keep the ff's in one place, stray flys shouldn't be a problem w/ the frog's appetite. I say even if you get only 2 frogs go for it and get the 50 gal.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Phyllobates are fairly aggressive feeders. I don't think you'll have trouble with the frogs not getting food in a large tank. P. vittatus can be a little cryptic but you should see them if the tank is well planted and high humididty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ihave five P.vitattus all together in about a 30 gallon viv and they do just great . It has a cascading waterfall and they seem to love hanging out around the splashing water. I have a pic somewhere , I will post it when I find it , good luck , they are a beautiful species.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep my vittatus pair in a 29 gallon.
Now that they have become used to the feeding location, every time I open the tank they race for this spot. Even the morphing froglets know where to find the food ( makes it easy to pull them too )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts