Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I broke the bank tonight, as I stopped by my two favorite haunts: Lowe's and Franks. Franks had their Dischidia pectinoides on sale for $4 . . . I just couldn't pass that up! :shock:

At Lowes, I picked up an unknown Paph for $2, and some nice Phal's for $1 each. :) One Phal might not make it, but it's worth the crap shoot for a buck. I also picked up a small leaved vining Peperomia in a big hanging basket for $1, and a Sarracenia for $.50. Yeah, I'm a bit of a dumpster diver when it comes to plants . . . but it works for me. :lol:

So, for less than $10, I had to find more nooks and crannies to start stuffing plants into my viv's. At those prices, I'm not going to cry if something dies. Now, when I pay $20 for a pitcher plant, that might be another story . . . but I haven't done that YET (but Black Jungle keeps calling my name . . . Homer, buy that Nep. ampullaria, or Nep. benellii . . . or both!) They're so bad! :roll: :wink:

Now's the time to be hitting the box stores . . . their orchids are done blooming, and they're practically giving them away! So who else has had some hauls this week?

G

·
0 Posts
nice! what specie of sarracenia did you get? they do well in vivariums, but the neps don't fair too well when they dont have much drainage...

blackjungle carries nepenthes benelii?! :shock: you shouldn't have otld me that... :wink:
I really hope to get a nep albomargiana, i might order one soon. my sarracenia are mass-flowering right now, so by the end of the summer i should be loaded with seed :D i may have to give some away :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Homer what do you have to trade? I've got N. Ampullaria growing out of my ears. Also have some N. Alata X Maxima, N. Gracilis,N. Coccinea, N. Ventricosa, and N. Judith Finn. A ton of extra Drosera.

I accept Plants, Frogs, and Cash. :)

Joe

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spec,

I've not had a problem with my Nep whatsoever. In fact, I just gave away a large rooted cutting of it a few weeks ago. I plan on putting the Sarracenia outside this summer in a bog garden. I may be able to get it to overwinter here . . . we'll see. Black Jungle carried the orange form of benellii about a month back . . . when I went to order, they were out. :cry: Oh well, they'll have it back soon enough.

Joseph,

You're too funny. The Nep I have currently is Judith Finn, which you already have. I'll definitely keep you in mind when my orchids are flourishing. I'm sure we can work something out then.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
plant haul

Homer,

I'm with you man! I just stopped at Home Depot last week and picked up some Begonia's ("hocolate man","tornado") and a few calathea's ("cobra"). I have a few neoregelia's on the way for today and a mandavilla vine coming later this week. Dischidia? I love those! Ant plants are amazing for the fact that they actually provide a "home" for certain species of ants; as a result, the ants protect the vine from predation. Interesting one to have in a viv.

Justin

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have been ordered to stay away from Lowe's and Home Depot. My husband keeps making new terraiums to hold all the plants that I buy. I keep filling up his worktable with plants and fruit fly cultures. I am allowed to bring home all the orchid and bromeliads I want though. I have been buying them a Lowe's with multiple shoots for $3.50 I guess they don't want to sit on plants that aren't blooming. Thier loss is my gain. I keep hoping they will get more cryptanthus and bromeliads in.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guilty again . . . I bought 11 ferns tonight for $.50 each. :roll: Anyone wanting to trade for a maidenhair fern? :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I don't know about you'alls Home Depot and Lowes, but here in my area the best we can hope for is 50% off the spent orchids. But I did get a Paph Maudiae cross for $5, and thats something I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts