Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some starter cultures of Tomocerus springs about a month back and they are just starting to take off well. They are on a coco fiber substrate. I was wondering if anyone is culturing these in a charcoal culture with any success. I think charcoal cultures are easier to feed/seed from so if anyone knows whether or not they do well on charcoal/water culture please let me know. I don't want to crash them on an experiment.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use coco fiber as well. Just put slices of potato on the surface and you can tap them into cages. You can also have leaves on the surface of the culture and just move entire leaves with springs into cages.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Tim, I have worked them on a coco husk (chunks of coco) and charcoal mix successfully. My latest cultures are on Charcoal but you have to make sure and totally saturate the charcoal for a few days before adding the springs. I do mist the culture about once a week and I do NOT keep more than the tiniest bit of standing water on the bottom. I am liking the production I am getting with this method. I am feeding only active bakers yeast.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am also doing a pure charcoal substrate. The culture is about two months old and just now starting to produce. I did not let the culture soak as Pumilio suggested and perhaps that has something to do with the delayed production.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I found that without the extended soak, it just dried out too fast.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know! Thanks for all the replies. It seems I will be trying 1 charcoal culture, and putting some potato slices in the other and experiment with what I like better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have mite problem for these spring,
once mite establish, it wipes out my entire culture in a matter of day.

I dont seem to have problem of mites being in the white spring culture,
it seem like the white one production speed are competeable to mite..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts