Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked throught the forum and came up empty on this. i was wondering what the ratio to toluene and silicon is and how do you mix it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know the exact ratio mixture, but I just mixed it until it got to the consistency that I wanted it. Did every last bit evaporate properly? I can't be sure, but I let it sit for more than a couple weeks before I used it.
My thought was that it would help to more effectively coat the silicone with peat moss, but I found the opposite to be true. If I used regular silicone the peat moss probably would've stuck better. Many use it to lengthen the cure time of the silicone, but honestly I probably won't use it again. Come get mine!
My .02.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was used for allowing the silicon to spread easier? Thus then being able to put peat on the silicon. you have to let it sit for a while before you apply it? I thought once you mixed it you could apply it right away to where you would have to be worrying about the silicon hardening up on you and to allow a stickier surface for the peat to stick to

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its a thinner, so yes it does allow it to spread easier. Its almost too thin in my opinion and I think the silicone alone actually holds better than when its thinned.
I meant that I let it dry/cure for two weeks after I applied the peat moss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotcha. what if you just apply less toluene? wouldnt that make the components of silicon alittle stronger then adding a large amount and diluting it almost completly?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I believe it is used to thin the silicone so that once applied, finer detail will show through instead of clumping thick silicone. It also allows the peat to be mixed in and applied at once. I have been experimenting a bit and found it quite handy, and used much less silicone. I used the ratio Grimm mentioned in his peninsula build,
I believe its around 2 parts silicone 1 part toulene 1-1.5 parts peat, don't quote me tho, just trying to remember.
Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts
why peat? i want to use it for my vines but I wanted to use coco fiber... can I just substitute?

or soak rope in mix then roll it around in coco fiber?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
put whatever the hell you want in it.

i literally JUST finished coating a BG with a mix of toluene, black silicone, crushed LECA, turface, shredded coco, and ground treefern.

james

1 - 9 of 9 Posts