Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo. I’ve kept toads at home and in zoos for over 50 years, yet I remain enamored of even the most common local species. Others of my generation, be they herpetologists or hobbyists, feel the same…it’s hard to dislike a toad! As pets, toads are generally far more responsive and “aware” than are their frog cousins, and with proper care they may live into their 30’s and beyond. Perhaps because they “know” of the protection offered by powerful skin toxins, pets become quite bold, and readily feed from the hand…sounds odd, but their fearless attitudes remind me of another favorite but very different pet – the striped skunk! To date, 578 species of toads have been described (family Bufonidae), so I’m guessing that many readers will have their own “best pet” picks. Please be sure to post your choices below. Read the rest of this article here Pet Toads: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Pet Owners
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

·
Registered
502 Posts
I highly recommend the American Toad, they regularly breed in my neighborhood near my house somewhere and I usually have to do a toad survey before mowing every week because they are everywhere! I have a pair in a large clear tupperware container with no lid plopped in front of my office window, they like to burrow and hide out during the day so you need some kind of cover like cocohuts or something they can dig into for a substrate, they need a water source that can be changed readily, smaller tupperware works great for this and they will definitely eat right from your hand. I dont handle mine often but my 5 year old daughter likes to occasionally "make sure" they are doing alright so having them in that tupperware container makes it easy to plop on the ground for her, just build it like any enclosure with a drainage layer, leaf litter and some hardy plants, like pothos or some raw grass seed works but will get real long and eventually look unkempt. All in all great little toads with a hardy appetite and one of my favorite amphibians in the house!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I highly recommend the American Toad, they regularly breed in my neighborhood near my house somewhere and I usually have to do a toad survey before mowing every week because they are everywhere! I have a pair in a large clear tupperware container with no lid plopped in front of my office window, they like to burrow and hide out during the day so you need some kind of cover like cocohuts or something they can dig into for a substrate, they need a water source that can be changed readily, smaller tupperware works great for this and they will definitely eat right from your hand. I dont handle mine often but my 5 year old daughter likes to occasionally "make sure" they are doing alright so having them in that tupperware container makes it easy to plop on the ground for her, just build it like any enclosure with a drainage layer, leaf litter and some hardy plants, like pothos or some raw grass seed works but will get real long and eventually look unkempt. All in all great little toads with a hardy appetite and one of my favorite amphibians in the house!

I heartily agree! They were my first amphibian pets, collected over 50 years ago in the Bronx, and I still keep them today! Enjoy, Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts