Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

After lurking for a little while, I wasn't expecting this to be my first post, but here goes.

As you can see by the pictures, I have a new-ish member of the family that is currently no larger than the Bluenose etching on a Canadian dime. This little American Toad came in with a few others in tadpole form over the winter with a purchase of pond plants.

Providing shelter and suitable living quarters is no issue, providing a diet is more of one. To this point, I'm not even entirely sure how it survived as a tadpole - never mind the last couple of weeks. For now, I've collected a few minuscule isopods from the backyard (pictured). I don't see myself being able to collect for much longer.

So, experts, what are my feeding options for something this small?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would suggest springtails in a simple setup. Try non bleached(brown) paper towels as a substrate(changing them out frequently)with a cool hide. Most toads are nocturnal predators and will be more willing to accept food at dusk through the night. As the toad grows larger you can switch to isopods and eventually garden worms cut to appropriate size. Best of luck!

Side note: Watch for nostril mites.

JBear

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have no idea how big a Canadian dime is, but have you tried the smaller melanogaster fruit flies?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

Before I could even get start, the youngin' went missing. I had it transferred to a kid's small bug keeper until I could get a 5gal set up ready and it disappeared. Gone. No trace. Lid was on secure, nothing to climb on to even reach the vents.

I just emptied the bin and nothing in the substrate. I'm at a loss!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts