Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Hopefully this gets some views in here, dunno where to put this, but here we go:

A month back, my wife's sister came across an fowler toad which apparently found an angry cat or dog and had alot of eye damage and another small cut. The toad did not move for several days outside her house, so the wife got the toad and took it to my home. I fixed up a 10 gal tank to help the healing. When he first got in the tank, the toad was very skittish and shy and did not move for a day, but after the first few weeks, the toad became bold and started to eat.

Now a month or so later, he is in great shape. The eye looks great, still cannot see out of it(im guessing), but it has healed quite nicely. When he eats, he is accurate and he goes nuts for crickets/beetles. The toads overall behavior has drastically improved for the better.

MY question now is: Should and can the toad be released back from where I got him? Her house is not around a pond, so should I find a nice spot by a stream or pond? Also, it is getting kinda chilly here in Indianapolis, so would it be safe to release him at this time? ALSO, did keeping him in captivity for a month or so kinda screw him up for the wild?

I just want him to recover(which he did) and give him a good life(in progress). Just would like to know others opinion. The wife is going back up to her sisters this weekend, so would like to figure out what I'm doing by then.....

Thanks all !!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that....here you go:

The first day I got him:

Few weeks after I got him

The Toad today. Little over a month has gone by:

I think there is alot of improvement......

Reactions: 30994

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Poor guy. Nice job though, looks like he'll be fine. However, I'd say you have a new pet. If you release him now you run the very large risk of introducing a pathogen of some kind. Even if your frogs in your frog room seem healthy, there is always the possibility they have something or are carriers.

Some others on here will have more info. I'm sure Ed will chime in.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont mind keeping him around, I would have liked to return him to the wild though, but if he would/could possibly release some sort of pathogen or struggle to survive....I have no problem keeping him around.

Yes, the more people that chime in the better. Thanks Adam

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd have to think he would be an easy target if back in the wild with only one eye.

Good job nursing him back to health. I'd just enjoy him and let him live out the rest of his life in captive luxury!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts