Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I dot know if this should go in this section, or the parts and construction. So, if it's in thie wrong section, feel free to move it. :)

Anywho, I bought some kind of an analog combination of thermometer and hygrometer. I dont remember the brand name at the moment. The point is that I don't know whether or not I can trust the hygrometer. The meter said it has been holding steady at 80% since I put the tank up. Well, the reason o don't know of o can trust it is because the thermometer says its been an even 70° since the tanks been up as well. I thought the temp of the air in the tank when I opened the lid was much warmer than that. So, I put my digital probe aquarium thermometer in there, and it's reading 76°. So, the thermometer is obviously wrong. Is it right to think that the hygrometer could be faulty as well? The tank is extremely humid in there at all times by the feel, but it's also cons tangle fogged up on all four sides with water drops running down. That's why I ask, should I trust that it's only 80% humid in there?

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I find most of them to be extremely reliable in holding down a stack of papers on my desk. That's what they do best.
I have always just used condensation on the glass and the feel of the substrate to judge my humidity.
For temp I love my point and shoot infrared digital unit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I find most of them to be extremely reliable in holding down a stack of papers on my desk. That's what they do best.
I have always just used condensation on the glass and the feel of the substrate to judge my humidity.
For temp I love my point and shoot infrared digital unit.

Agree. An IR thermometer is the best. Use your eyes and your hand to check your humidity. If the glass has condensation, you're good. I just check by sticking my hand in the tank. When it's above 80%, you can feel the moisture on your skin.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I honestly dont see a glass box ever letting things get to dry so long as it is misted a few times a week. Thats why I also only use an infrared thermo and skip using a hygro.

Also, exterior temperature makes a huge difference in amount of condensation. One side of my tank is perfectly clear, while the other side nearest my AC duct is constantly covered with condensation to the point of droplets falling every few seconds. Its kinda weird lol.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It also depends on the hygrometer.. if you got it from a pet store then no.. they tend to fail rather quickly in high humidity enviroments..

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
It also depends on the hygrometer.. if you got it from a pet store then no.. they tend to fail rather quickly in high humidity enviroments..
flukers used to make a real nice unit, that was rather small, but 75-85% would fail within a week, the others I've been using for almost 6 years. Always gave me rather accurate readings, compared to my weather station, as well

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
True, there's always higher end stuff out there if you're willing to pay the price. Personally, I've never taken a hygrometer reading on a single one of my vivs.

Reactions: Brien

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, I dot know if this should go in this section, or the parts and construction. So, if it's in thie wrong section, feel free to move it. :)

Anywho, I bought some kind of an analog combination of thermometer and hygrometer. I dont remember the brand name at the moment. The point is that I don't know whether or not I can trust the hygrometer. The meter said it has been holding steady at 80% since I put the tank up. Well, the reason o don't know of o can trust it is because the thermometer says its been an even 70° since the tanks been up as well. I thought the temp of the air in the tank when I opened the lid was much warmer than that. So, I put my digital probe aquarium thermometer in there, and it's reading 76°. So, the thermometer is obviously wrong. Is it right to think that the hygrometer could be faulty as well? The tank is extremely humid in there at all times by the feel, but it's also cons tangle fogged up on all four sides with water drops running down. That's why I ask, should I trust that it's only 80% humid in there?

Thanks!
Mark
Analog gauges are a blatant RIPOFF and useless. I would personally take them back to the pet store and demand your money back / an exchange for a good digital one. You can get a digital combo for $20-30

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have multiple flukers. The digital combo. Highly accurate however since they don't have a probe you can't let water touch it or they are toast. I lost 2 because of that. I think they are not needed.

A good temp gun will work nice for multiple tanks heat. Humidity you can almost eyeball the tanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts