Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished painting my rock structure and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to coat the parts that won't be underwater with a waterproofing coating. I'm worried I will lose texture and will make it shiny. At the same time, I'm worried that the plaster-ish material I used might break down over time in humidity like we keep. Would do it like in this video: How to make a waterfall (rainforest edition) Decisions decisions.....

**I for sure am coating the areas that will be part of the waterfall with silicone or epoxy (haven't decided which yet but likely just silicone).

These 2 are before I decided to paint in algae in the falls area.
Here's what the rocks look like without any coating:
Rocks done - no algae.jpg
Zoomed in:
Rocks done zoom.jpg

Here's with algae in the falls
Rocks done.jpg
Rocks done 2.jpg
Rocks done 3.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am interested to know how you will be coating the rocks in silicone/epoxy. I just built a waterfall and have had some problems with cracking by the plaster coated in drylock...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what "plaster-ish" material did you use? plaster (gypsum) is not viv suitable

james
It's Activa Permastone. Same stuff as "Habicrete" only cheaper because not marketed for the same purpose :) It's a plaster polymer used for creating statues. Technically it's "water resistant".
See this thread if you want more: http://www.vivariumforum.com/commun...7-research-find-habacrete-alternative-11.html
Or you can simply wait for me to update my build thread. Gonna try to create it as a resource type thread for my technique since I used a bit of a Frankenstein of various techniques and I've been VERY happy with it so far.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was doing an ink drip highlight method on my tree buttress and the answer to the question became readily apparent. With how water soluble the acrylic paints are that I'm using for all this detailing, I think I HAVE to seal it to prevent them from getting washed away. My answer appears to have nothing at all to do with the structure!

**Will still do silicone over the really wet areas (including submerged tree buttress roots, waterfall and river.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm having to decide the same right now for my rock structure. Please post pictures of your finished work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having to decide the same right now for my rock structure. Please post pictures of your finished work.
I'm gonna setupa big build thread with how tos and sources for everything in my build when I'm done. Look for it in the next few days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a little preview:
These are the before and after shots with the 2 coats of Minwax Polycrylic. Keep in mind this is all in very different lighting and it actually has more settling time to do (I think you can actually still see a pool or 2 of acrylic in some shots). I'm still gonna epoxy/silicone the roots and the waterfall, but this ought to give you a good idea of how much it changes (or not).

Rocks before:
Rocks done.jpg
Rocks after:
Rock acrylic zoom.jpg

Tree before:
Tree no acrylic.jpg
Tree after:
Tree acrylic.jpg

Tree before (zoom):
Tree no acrylic zoom.jpg
Tree after (zoom):
Tree acrylic zoom.jpg