Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I actually have hermit crabs, but a friend directed me here because I'm in a real pickle with my tank background I made :confused:
I made a background with Titebond 2 (blue label, waterproof kind) mixed with EE and some sand. I also stuck a bunch of various things in it.
I applied the mix straight on the glass, after looking around, I'm noticing most people use a layer of foam or cement first. I couldn't afford to lose an extra inch or two, but I hope that wasn't a mistake.
A week after applying it, the bottom half felt rock solid, only a couple patches up top were still a bit squishy, so I thought it'd be safe to add my substrate since I figured I'd be ready to add the crabs soon.
The next morning, where the sand was touching the background, it had turned grey and was "un-hardening" (if that's a word) Which doesn't make sense! This stuff is supposed to be waterproof.
Here's where it was turning grey:

I took out the substrate, but now I'm really worried. I need deep, sand castle consistency substrate for my hermit crabs, and I can't have it softening up on the bottom.
Does anyone know what might be going on? Do I need to coat it in something, or (god forbid) scrap the project altogether?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to find a way to save this background if I can, and move my crabs as soon as I can.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've had similar with titebond III (you mentioned 2, which I believe is only water resistant). I built a fake tree out of it and let it cure for a couple weeks but once it was in a vivarium setting it softened up and became milky looking. I ended up throwing it away so I don't know if it would have ever hardened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the difference between 2 and 3? I've only ever seen type 2 in stores (I'm sure I could get my hands on it if I must) But I was hoping 2 would work because it was recommended to me by someone who had used it as a crab background.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts