Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm in the process of building my first vivarium and I've ran into a bit of an issue.
It's roughly 2-3 weeks into the build, and I've set up the false bottom, foamed and carved everything. After using titebond iii with coco fiber and waiting for about a weeks time for it to cure, I believed the entire enclosure was ready so I filled up the water feature. Apparently I was wrong, because the water soon clouded up into a cloudy white mixture and the whole thing smelt like glue. I did my research and found that the problem is that the glue hasn't fully cured. I did a full water change but it doesn't seem like the problem is going away anytime soon. I'm hesitant to start the planting process just in case the problem is toxic. I know it will take time to remedy the situation but I want to hear your experienced opinions about the best way to fix the issue. Do I keep up the daily water changes or should I drain and dry the vivarium? How long does it take to clear up the water. I'm anxious to learn and start the planting phase already! Please, share your thoughts with me :)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
I too had this problem.
I just kept doing periodic water changes, while adding in fresh water.
Eventually it cleared itself up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
could it have been the TB3 hadnt finished curing completely? Sometimes a week just isnt enough. Does it still have any sort of smell when you open the enclosure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
TB3 cures in hours, not days. This is probably the result of a void in the background where a glue pocket formed. There must be a small channel that leads to your water from this pocket. As previous noted, this will work itself out.


Cresteds 2.6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate your replies. The enclosure does have a lingering smell of glue, and its very possible there are pockets of glue due to the caves I carved. I'll keep up the daily water changes until it comes back clear, then I'll start the planting/ grow out phase!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
TB3 cures in hours, not days. This is probably the result of a void in the background where a glue pocket formed. There must be a small channel that leads to your water from this pocket. As previous noted, this will work itself out.


Cresteds 2.6
tb3 cures in hours if used in the sense its intended for.. I wish a tb3+peat BG cured in hours.. But it also depends on how you mix/apply it and how thick or how many coats you do it in.. Ive never had one cure in less than 1 week..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
452 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm in the process of building my first vivarium and I've ran into a bit of an issue.
It's roughly 2-3 weeks into the build, and I've set up the false bottom, foamed and carved everything. After using titebond iii with coco fiber and waiting for about a weeks time for it to cure, I believed the entire enclosure was ready so I filled up the water feature. Apparently I was wrong, because the water soon clouded up into a cloudy white mixture and the whole thing smelt like glue. I did my research and found that the problem is that the glue hasn't fully cured.
IRC, it's also an ongoing issue if the glue is below the water line
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IRC, it's also an ongoing issue if the glue is below the water line
Some of the coco fiber slurry is below the water line, but only a little bit. I left about 2-3 inches of straight black silicon covering from the bottom up and covered it with black sand so it would be hardly noticeable. I really hope the cloudy water issue will not be long term.

The best method is to brush the glue on to your foam and then press in your dry peat. Use your foam to make features, not a glue and peat mixture.


Cresteds 2.6
That's exactly what I did for the first layer, but it didn't get into the many little crevices in my BG, so I went the lazy route of the coco fiber slurry as it allowed me to work faster, and in my opinion, more efficiently. I don't think the mix was that thick even, because after a few days in the sun the whole thing was rock hard; which was why I felt confident enough to fill it.
As for the water feature, I cut out pond liner I had lying about and silicone it down and covered what gaps remained with silicon also.
I think the problem is that the stream splashed about and soaked into the BG more than expected, that and the part of the slurry that is under the water line, leeched left over glue.

Either way, I hope I can remedy the situation ASAP! I did a water change today and even though it's still a bit milky white, it's somewhat less cloudy compared to yesterday. At least there's some progress lol! Once I can get the water to clear up, and hook up the light fixture I will post pictures, so expect me! :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top