Dendroboard banner

4281 - 4300 of 4317 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is my Rhododendron 'Alisa Nicole'. It lives in my 20 gallon vertical terrarium. I think it has been growing here for 3 or maybe 4 years. This is the fourth blooming event it has had and the second one for the year. For those of you not familiar with these, this is not the kind of Rhododendron you put outside in your garden in the Northeast of the USA. These are tropical Rhododendrons named Vireyas naturally found in South-East Asia and northern Australia. I really love the soft colours vireyas produce.

Rhododendron 'Alisa Nicole'-01 by César, on Flickr

Rhododendron 'Alisa Nicole'-02 by César, on Flickr

Rhododendron 'Alisa Nicole'-03 by César, on Flickr

Rhododendron 'Alisa Nicole'-04 by César, on Flickr

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hello all,

This is Rhododendron 'Saint Valentine'
This is another one of my Vireyas, tropical Rhododendrons from South-east Asia and Northern Australia. This is another hybrid which I bought because I liked the shape of the flowers, compact size of the shrub and above all, the redness of the blooms.

Thing is, if you can grow orchids, you can grow Vireyas. I hope you all enjoy the following progression of photos over a period of 5 days.

Rhododendron 'Saint Valentine'-01 by César, on Flickr

Rhododendron 'Saint Valentine'-02 by César, on Flickr

Rhododendron 'Saint Valentine'-03 by César, on Flickr

Rhododendron 'Saint Valentine'-04 by César, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think Hydrophyte said this was a ginger, he threw it in as a freebie and it stayed outside for 2 years + where my cat kept it eaten to the ground. I finally put it in a viv about a year ago and it got this beautiful bright orange bloom.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Trisetella strumosa, Scaphosepalum rapax, Lepanthes telipogoniflora, Lepanthes caprimulgus, Lepanthes telipogonflora x Lepanthes calodictyon, Lepanthes calodictyon, Diodonopsis erinacea

Looks great! Do you have any threads that elaborate on this vivarium? Equipment, parameters etc...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Chris, I don't have a thread for the build and has no live animal in it. It's a 12" cube, I use an 18W Chihiros A-Series Aquatic Aquarium Fish Tank LED, and it has a dimmer for 5 levels of light and I put it on the 3 level for about 12 hrs/day. I also have a 2" low speed fan behind the wood on 24/7. There's also a donut humidifier behind the wood that turns on early morning for 30 minutes and in the evening for 15 minutes. The humidity is almost at a constant 90%. The temperature is around 60-70 in the winter and it can get to the high 90s in the summer and low around 76 at night. Here is pic for the full view.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I, too, have a Yellow Bird, and it's one of my favorite plants. I love watching the blooms change color. They stick around for a while, too, and have a lovely fragrance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tillandsia ionantha 'Guatemalan Select'

Not the most rare thing ever, but I always get amused when these tillandsia put off a flower.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My Microterangis hariotiana that I picked up earlier this year at an orchid show is starting to send out some spikes! Happy tiny little orange flowers. Like this little guy lots! It's been adjusting well to viv life after his quarantine. Lots of new leaves starting to show up and 3 flower spikes it's just put out.

4281 - 4300 of 4317 Posts