Dendroboard banner

4261 - 4280 of 4317 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's bloomed again inside my terrarium. I just wish the terrarium was taller or the plant was blooming lower. Its really hard to get a good picture with the plant blooming at the very top. I still enjoyed it though.

This is a tropical Rhododendron hybrid called a Vireya. This hybrid's name is Alisa Nicole. I love the violet-pink bell-shaped hanging flowers.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ophidion pleurothallopsis
This is great little plant that is always in bloom. There was a short period of about a month when there were no flowers, but otherwise, its a performer. I love the closed nature of the flowers, like there is a mystery inside. One day I will overcome my reluctance to the destroy and dissect one of these while they are still in flower. The plant produces multiple blooms per rachis in sequence, so there is no need to be sad when the flower dies. As you can see from the picture of the plant, it produces multiple flowers at once putting on a nice little show.
Ophidion pluerothallopsis-2016-02 by César, on Flickr
Ophidion pluerothallopsis-2016-01 by César, on Flickr

·
Registered
246 Posts
Little Hairy Blue Balls.

This is a tropical Blueberry from the New World. Sphyrospermum buxifolium first caught my eye at the New York Botaincal Gardens in their Tropical Blueberry collection, and I knew I had to find it and get it. So I got myself some seeds and threw them into my vivariums. Here is the first of the seedlings to grow into maturity and bloom. It is a vine that is now throwing tiny little bell-shaped flowers (the blueberry family resemblance is remarkable). Enjoy.

Sphyrospermum buxifolium-2016-02 by César, on Flickr
Sphyrospermum buxifolium-2016-01 by César, on Flickr

·
Registered
246 Posts
Formerly identified by me as Phalaenopsis honghenensis, but I think it is now considered the same as Phalaenopsis wilsonii. In anycase it seems to check out better as P. wilsonii.
The plant is growing in a corner of my terrarium that is hard to reach with a camera. I can't move the plant because it's roots have spread and firmly attached the plant to the background of my terrarium. It's basically stuck to one spot. The plant however has had no leaves for more than a year. Having said that, the roots look great and the flowers keep coming. I think this is it's third blooming event in two years time.

Phalaenopsis wilsonii by César, on Flickr

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought this wouldn't bloom anytime soon. It was doing well, blooming and growing new leaves, and then suddenly it stopped growing leaves. So I figured it would not bloom until new leaves came out. I was wrong. A few weeks ago I cleared wet moss from around the roots and soon it was sending out a bloom again. Here is a new flower, pictured today. I have changed the conditions around the plant slightly so that it can get more ventilation.

Masdevallia glandulosa by César, on Flickr

·
Registered
99 Posts
And today, in Blurry Iphone Pictures, we have two entries.

Random Mystery Vine Thing:

And a Toad Lily, which lives in the back yard:

·
Registered
31 Posts
a few pics of what is blooming in my viv now. I really like the look of the yellow episcia. yellow pops on the floor against that dark foliage.

cant remember the name of the cryptanthus.

not exactly showy but you don't see many palm flowers on this thread, so here is my Chamaedorea metallica.

What is the name of the last one with all those little bulbs I suppose? Very pretty and simple I like it

·
Registered
50 Posts
This Scaphosepalum ovulare is almost constantly in bloom.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here are some more of my vivarium orchids that have done well in intermediate-warm frog-friendly conditions.

Dryadella lilliputiana - probably likes it a little cooler but has been growing and blooming up within 2" of the LED lights.

Bulbophyllum taiwanense - very tiny.

Scaphsepalum rapax close-up. This is constantly blooming in my vivarium. Great beginner orchid and forms nice small clumps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here are some more of my vivarium orchids that have done well in intermediate-warm frog-friendly conditions.

Dryadella lilliputiana - probably likes it a little cooler but has been growing and blooming up within 2" of the LED lights.

Bulbophyllum taiwanense - very tiny.

Scaphsepalum rapax close-up. This is constantly blooming in my vivarium. Great beginner orchid and forms nice small clumps.
The photos aren't viewable from my phone, is anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4261 - 4280 of 4317 Posts