Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 4317 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was inspired by Antone's pretty Hoya post.

My list is N. pimienta, N. mariposa, Begonia thelmae, Sansaverias spp, and a new one--Dischidia geri. Had not realized this would put flowers, but they are tiny, cute white bell-shaped little things. Unfortunately, every single one of these is in a hard-to-reach location, so no pics.

But what have you got in flower? And pics, please.

-Solly

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Oh c'mon Solly!! I'll help you with the Dischidia flowers. They all have the little umbell 5 petal flowers.

Here's some of my flowers...

Almost all of my bromeliads are either in bloom, just got done blooming, or getting ready to bloom within' the week. All of my peperomias are blooming as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot two--My pep caperata is also blooming, as is the Dischidia spp Antone sent me!

EDIT: Hey Antone, what is that second reddish Dischidia?

-Solly

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
wishIwereAnExpert said:
Forgot two--My pep caperata is also blooming, as is the Dischidia spp Antone sent me!

EDIT: Hey Antone, what is that second reddish Dischidia?

-Solly
That is Dischidia hirsuta "Red Leaf".

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I've got one of my mini Neoregelia cultivar going into bloom (bad time to not have a camera!!), a couple Vrieseas including "Charolette" and splendens, a trailing African Violet cultivar with pretty little white flowers, as well as a slew of peps blooming such as my Pep. caperata cultivar, Pep. hernandifolia, and a Pep. species from Ecuador.

Hey gary1218, any chance I can borrow that pic for use on the plant swap website to show Neoregelia blooms?

·
Registered
738 Posts
This N. pimienta has been blooming for the past couple weeks:

The N. mariposa in my viv is getting ready to bloom in the next week or so, i'll put up some pics when it does.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
NO CAMERA TODD NO CAMERA

Maybe I can borrow the 'rents camera if I head back there tomorrow. Guess I should. I need the laundry I left there....

K

·
0 Posts
I've got:

Its a Fittonia flower. Its gives one, losses it by the next day, then keeps giving others on a daily basis, been blooming for over a week, and the plant now has a second spike.

My Haraella odorata orchid. It just lost this bloom, but its got two new blooms on the way. This will be its first simultaneous bloom!!!

This AV still only has this one flower, but I think I see more on the way.

And this one just opened up today. My Anubias barterii.
I love this one no matter how run of the mill it is.

K

·
0 Posts
Got bored so decided to take some more pics of my Anubias in my 29 gallon viv. The second spike bloomed :D .

Here it is no flash

With flash

And here are some other plants I got in flower now,
Anthurium 'pink lady' Anyone know the species name to this?

And a surprise I got this morning in my little 5 gallon tank where I keep my Betta splendins.
This is the tank so you get an idea:

Here is the flower spiking from an Elodea! I've never seen one of these flower before.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I do believe the Anthurium name is Anthurium andreanum going off the information on this web site tho the cultivars of that species often have the species name just left off, like its THE anthurium species (at least for cut flowers, the rest tend to be grown for foliage), no need to name, and everything else you give a species name to show its different or something...

K

·
0 Posts
Thanks Corey,

Frog to fall, it was sold as Elodea by a biological company. Is Anarchis the disputed genus name??

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
To quote one page:

"There is but one great all-round warm-water aquarium "anacharis" formerly of the genus "Elodea" now Egeria...

...the common name "anacharis" used to be a valid genus name for some of these plants; and is a moniker still often used. The correct scientific name for most species of "anacharis" is Elodea ("Ell-oh-dee-ah"). Egeria is another recent (1961) erected genus for a similar plant (the one of most interest to aquarists) that produces 2 to 4 flowers (Elodea only 1), that have large and deeply white petals (versus small and colorless), and are pollinated by insects (elodeas is done via water)."

A picture and the full article, with a pic of Elodea flowers, can be found here.

So basically, Elodea was the genus name for anacharis, but that has changed, and the biological supply company may be behind the times, or sending a cold water elodea species... but going by the pics its probibly just anacharis.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
From Botany class and even a bit of Zoology class, I remember this discussion. Elodea that we used (and that FEW stores actually carried) had much smaller foliage as a whole than Anacharis, even when grown in similar conditions. All the Anacharis I've ever bought or seen had larger foliage and had a much deeper green.

I've yet to sit down and compare flowers though.

1 - 20 of 4317 Posts