Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I have not really had the chance to get on much as of lateand I am glad I have the time to make a post. I have two imitators that basically 4 months old now. I do find them in them in the same film container at night. I have not had much time to listen for calls, plus they are on the back pouch enjoying the humidity of Central IL, so the back ground of Gray tree frogs, Cricket Frogs, and crickets can make it a little hard. Any one have any tips or pictures of sexed pairs to share? I will try and get pictures of the two soon.
Later and Happy frogging,
Jason Juchems

G

·
Jason,
I have 4 imitators in the same 20 high and know at least 2 are males and they all sleep in the same bromiliad at night and seem to get along fine so far.Yopu can definately tell when they are older by size but even with me having for quite awhile unless I see them call I can't tell froglets apart sexwise.Iknow this deosn't help much so good luck and hope for a female !!!!!!!!
Mark

G

·
I have been extremely busy lately but I do have a picture of my imitator pair that I will try and post when I get a chance. My female is noticeably bigger than my male.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Very nice frogs, reguardless of sex. What type of plant is that behind them, the very large leafed one?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey All,
The Ivy is "Hedera helix" and the leaf is of a Phylodendron. These frogs are from offspring from offsprings from Patrick Nabors. I have seen and owned a few variations in the golden coloration in ofspring from ofspring from Patrick. I have one with a much darker gold coloration in the nose.
I can only hope for a pair as these guys a 4 months old but I am thinking males but they are pretty big.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may need to change my toon on having two males. after looking at Ben's picture I may have two females. I have looked at some old note and these are pretty nice size and fat frogs. I will try and get another picture up. But like I said they are four months old, so I should be seeing signs.
Jason Juchems

G

·
If they are not calling I would say females to.
I have had imitator calling in shoeboxes at 2.5 months.

If you want to trade a female for male let me know ;)
But I would just find another imitator male from someone first.

G

·
I'd try and separate them too.I have 3 known males in one of my 20 verts and it seems like one male does most of the calling.I think it must be the alpha male.When I first put them in the tank I watched 3 of them call but lately only one does most of the calling.I think the subordinates are scared to call or something.
Mark W.

G

·
Jason,

It looks to me like you have 2 males. In general, I never go by girth or how fat a frog is when sexing...especially vents and imitators. My male imitators have always been much fatter than the females. Females are very easily distinguished as they are noticeably longer than males. Judging by the size of your frogs down in the film canisters, this leads me to think that they are males. Try seperating them for a while and see if any calling takes place. Hope this helps.

I have a pic somewhere here on my hdd that shows a good size difference in males and females. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Good point Bill, I thought I had a pair for a long time, still not sure, but from looks alone one is fatter and seems like a female. I have 6 now so we will see. I have them in tanks of 3 and 3, nothing yet, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
298 Posts
seming imitators

After watching my frogs for over a year and a half, my male tends to stand more upright than the female, and he is almost always much more out in the open. He also stays much higher in the tank(20 extra high). Hope this helps some. By the way, 3 tadpoles about a month from morphing. Also 5 new eggs in the last week. :D

G

·
Very cool.My pair laid a clutch of two in a perfect place fo me.They are between two calathea leaves right by the lid so I don't have to look for them.Do I have them trained now or what :wink:
Mark W.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are few new pictures to give another look at the body type of my frog. These are not the greatest pictures but they give a good idea of the body type. I zoomed a few larger to give a beter look. One frog to has a very cool nose dots. They are formed together to form a very good looking V. So I have named him Flying V for those of who remeber the movie. These pictures were taken before feeding today and they may look a little thiner than normal.

Pictures of Flying V

Jason Juchems

1 - 18 of 18 Posts