Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the water was cloudy because clay fell in the water. I'm getting the rest of the gravel soon, and the plants will come in the mail in a few days. Stay tuned for updates!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Welcome to the hobby! My biggest flaw with my earlier tanks was with plant placement being in areas where I could sprinkle the fruit flies in....the supplement used to dust fruit flies normally ruins vegetation if the dust collects on it. So, plan out where/and how you're going to be putting their food in so you don't kill your plants. :) have fun

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Couple tips for you.

The first is to use leaf litter. Your frogs will love it. Its natural and provides a source of food for the microfauna in your tank (and provides the microfauna cover and protection to establish beneath). I use magnolia leaves.

The next tip is that it looks like your water feature is running too fast to me.

Other than that it looks to be a good start. What plants are you expecting in the mail?

·
Registered
401 Posts
The tank doesnt see to be any good for darts... The is not not enough floor space for terrestrial frogs and there is not enough vertical space for thumbs. You shouldn't put a water feature in a 10g cause you are limited with space in the first place and it takes up even more. From the angle I'm looking at t the background looks really thick which takes up even more floor space and your false bottom and substrate take up too much vertical space. There is not enough room in the tank for darts. Maybe if you fill in the pond you can use it as a grow out for a froglet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
a 10 gallon is pretty small... if you put some cork rounds, vines, and lots of vegetation to increase climbing area you could probably get away with some thumbnail dart frogs - even though verticals are usually used for thumbnails.

i don't think there is a problem with your water flow but you can NOT have your pond be very deep at all. I would say half inch of water. Dart frogs don't swim and can drown. If you have any wrestling or aggression between your frogs they may drown each other in the water. Instead of a pond/puddle you may consider stacking some cool rocks (or making fake stacked rocks out of painted and siliconed styrafoam) for water to trickle down.

jdooley195 had a good point about planning where to put your powdered flies - I killed most of my moss because I didn't know this tip for several months!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
a 10 gallon is pretty small... if you put some cork rounds, vines, and lots of vegetation to increase climbing area you could probably get away with some thumbnail dart frogs - even though verticals are usually used for thumbnails.

i don't think there is a problem with your water flow but you can NOT have your pond be very deep at all. I would say half inch of water. Dart frogs don't swim and can drown. If you have any wrestling or aggression between your frogs they may drown each other in the water. Instead of a pond/puddle you may consider stacking some cool rocks (or making fake stacked rocks out of painted and siliconed styrafoam) for water to trickle down.

jdooley195 had a good point about planning where to put your powdered flies - I killed most of my moss because I didn't know this tip for several months!
First I'd like to say that not only thumbnail frogs can be in a 10g. I've kept and bred plenty of tincs and other large frogs in pairs and 10g's and have had no problem. Also dart frogs can swim. Although not very good, as long as they have some way to easily get out of the water they should be fine.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok. I just got my gravel, and the water is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch deep, and I did turn down the flow because it was displacing the gravel and splahing water everywhere. I did plan out where my plants are going and how i'll be feeding. I'll feed in the top front right corner, where no plants are and no water is.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tank doesnt see to be any good for darts... The is not not enough floor space for terrestrial frogs and there is not enough vertical space for thumbs. You shouldn't put a water feature in a 10g cause you are limited with space in the first place and it takes up even more. From the angle I'm looking at t the background looks really thick which takes up even more floor space and your false bottom and substrate take up too much vertical space. There is not enough room in the tank for darts. Maybe if you fill in the pond you can use it as a grow out for a froglet.
Actually, the floor space is much bigger than you think, and part of the pond is gravel, which they can crawl on. I think the water feature is necessary. I do hve some humidity drop, and w/o it ill be misted about 5 times a day. The background is actually only 2 inches thick, in the thicker areas. I was going to think about the false bottom being smaller, which I was talking about in another thread.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had a pair of auratus in a 10-gallon with a pretty good sized water feature for 2 years and I never had any problems. That's not to say frogs won't appreciate more room, but it is doable. Water features definitely help with humidity, but you have to be careful with them because fruit flies like to crawl in and die, which *could* lead to underfed frogs.

That being said, I no longer put water features in 10 gallons because they tend to look awkward and cramped. But your tank looks nice. I wouldn't put anything except auratus in there, though. In my experience, they appreciate water more than any other dart.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about a green a bronze? They don't have the best colors, but they're not that expensive! Can't beat 30$ for a dart. Ty for the recommendation! If they dont have any in supply when I'm going to buy, would a Tinctorius work?

·
Registered
524 Posts
My tincs tend to avoid the water feature, even in their 40-gallon, but they seem to like pools of still water. There's a lot of debate whether or not tincs are suitable for 10-gallons. Many people have kept them in 10's, but the general consensus is that they need more space.

Green and bronze auratus might be ideal if you like them-- but if you like the blue colors of tincs, you might appreciate the blue auratus morphs.

Also, if you like the look of bromeliads, you can go ahead and put them in there. But you might find them frustrating-- they're bulky and take up space for (in my opinion) more attractive plants. Auratus will utilize bromeliads, but they are not essential for the well-being of the frogs.

Good luck with the tank!

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My tincs tend to avoid the water feature, even in their 40-gallon, but they seem to like pools of still water. There's a lot of debate whether or not tincs are suitable for 10-gallons. Many people have kept them in 10's, but the general consensus is that they need more space.

Green and bronze auratus might be ideal if you like them-- but if you like the blue colors of tincs, you might appreciate the blue auratus morphs.

Also, if you like the look of bromeliads, you can go ahead and put them in there. But you might find them frustrating-- they're bulky and take up space for (in my opinion) more attractive plants. Auratus will utilize bromeliads, but they are not essential for the well-being of the frogs.

Good luck with the tank!
I like the dark blue/black/yellow color. My fav dart besides luecs would be Dendrobates tinctorius regina morph. I love the yellow blotches with the darker colors!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like the dark blue/black/yellow color. My fav dart besides luecs would be Dendrobates tinctorius regina morph. I love the yellow blotches with the darker colors!
My leucs do fine in 10 gallon tanks. But mine don't like water. So, I would take out the water feature if you want leucs. However, you can experiment to see if they like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts