Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea what some tiny white bugs are that are swimming in my tadpole tank could be?

they are literally pinpoint sized, but tons of them swimming around.

i assume no danger to the tads?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
using Almond leaves. pretty similar to oak leaves though. From South America.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah i think they came off the leaves, I liked them. I figured either they are going to eat some dead crap or poop, or be eaten by my tads. Free food sources are never a problem in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Are they worm-like? I just found hundreds of nematod looking things in my sump.

Luke

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, more like small springtails. even smaller if possible.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've got both (the little bugs and the nematode looking things) in the water area in one of my vivs. I haven't seen any problems yet. I'm assuming that they aren't a problem. Would that be a correct assumption?

G

·
Possible solution could be copepods, can you get a picture? It would also be nice if someone could move this to the proper section of the forum.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
No, not daphnia. You can see these pretty well. They are maybe 3-6mm and totally white. Basically like aquatic grindle worms. They are mostly on the glass, but you can see some wiggling around in the water.

Luke

·
Registered
248 Posts
Every tadpole tank I have set up eventually gets a healthy population of ostracods and I bet that is what you are talking about. Have you put one under a scope yet? Many of the freshwater ostracod species live in vernal ponds or just in areas where there are occasional puddles, and can tolerate periods of drying out. I think this is why you get them when you add leaves from outside. Anyway they are just harmless scavengers, but tads dont seem to like to eat them probably because of their hard shells. Read more about them here...

http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol/cr ... tr0100.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts