Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this computer fan for 59 cents, so I thought I'd share it with the crowd. Just Cooler FC-900L Expansion Slot Sleeve Bearing Case Fan w/4-Pin Connector (Black) - No Bracket Just Cooler FC-900L

But really, I'd like a much smaller fan, that I can mount behind the trim on my marineland tank. The trim is deep, so it would be nice to use the space, since I can't see there from most views. The available space is about 1.25" -1.5" depending on how you look at it. I've seen fans as small as 40mm x 10mm. I'm curious if you've got opinions on what to look for in a fan. Also, are there any specific precautions I should take with running the fan in high humidity? Controllers you love?

here are 4 that caught my eye http://www.acousticpc.com/quiet_40mm_computer_fans.html

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would look for as larger thin fan as they can produce more airflow while producing less noise. I actually was planning something for my vivarium

·
Registered
725 Posts
the 80mm cooling fan i have on my light fixture is rated at 30dB max. i really don't notice it when i'm in the room. I don't think i would want anything louder than that though. its rated at 34 cfm too

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
For those worried about noise from fans, you can also use vibration dampening kits along with these, as they really do help.

I have to keep my computer on my desk and use ultra silent fans along with vibration dampening kits. You cannot even tell my computer is on if you do not look for the lights at the front. :D

I also apply these kits to all my racks where I have fans and you cannot even hear them going.

dba levels should be 25 or less for ultimate quietness.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the little ones in the link above seem to be in teh 18db range, with 5-6cfm. I realize it's not a lot of flow, but seems a lot quieter than 30db. Although, I don't know what the difference of 15db sounds like. Gotta say, it would be nice to be able to hide something so small in the tank. I'm primarily looking for enough flow to just keep the glass from fogging. right now, I find that if I prop the front of the lid open 1/4" across the whole front, the glass does not fog, and the humidity loss is generally 10% of what it was... but I'd prefer not to have so much open. I wonder if one in each corner would be enough.

is there a speed controller you prefer?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
circuit city had a good price on the silenx 4 channel controller with ac adapter, and silenx 40x10mm 5cfm fans... I got 4. I realize 5cfm isn't much air, but I really don't need much flow, and if I have to return them, circuit city makes it easy. They are super silent fans too, so I'm thinking I can run all 4 if I need to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, ok. 4cfm isn't quite enough with 2 fans, and I don't want to run 4, so I'm looking for a couple of stronger fans. I'm having a hard time finding 40mm x 40mm x 10mm fans with much more than 5cfm... it seems like you get about 5cfm per 10mm of thickness as you go up. Delta 40x40x28's get around 15-18cfm...

So the question is, what's a good specific model to look for? I'd really prefer a 20mm fan, to keep it small and light weight... but will 10-12fcm be enough? hard to tell. 5 wasn't.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so today I received 3 delta 12v fans to replace the tiny silenx fans I had originally purchased. The new fans are 40mmx40mmx28mm and really pack a punch, at 24cfm. They are not as quiet as the tiny ones, at all. At full speed, they are quite noticable even in the tank. But, they do not need to operate at full speed. A single fan is currently keeping 80% of the glass clear, on a very low setting.

Had I known this would be the case, I might have gotten the slightly cheaper, slightly slower 15.8 cfm fans that delta makes in the same size. These are quieter, and have a slower top speed, but that would be fine, since I will never need them at top speed. I've got them down around 20% speed, and the one fan is causing noticable movement in the plants, and clearing a large glass area. I can only imagine 3 fans is going to be overkill, possibly even on the lowest setting.

for anyone interested, here are links to the 2 fans I'm talking about, the ones I got and the slower ones...
Delta 40mm x 28mm Fan (FFB0412SHN-F00) - FrozenCPU.com

Delta 40mm x 28mm Fan (FFB0412VHN-F00) - FrozenCPU.com

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
For my in-tank circulation project, I use a PVC reducer to house the fan, connected to an elbow funny pipe that leads up to a hole in the glass lid of my tank. To take advantage of the power of a 60mm fan, despite the reducer only able to fit a 40mm fan, I sand the corners off and it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
But where do you get funny pipe fittings? I asked at home depot and they looked at me like I was making things up to mock them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For my in-tank circulation project, I use a PVC reducer to house the fan,
What size reducer do you use?

But where do you get funny pipe fittings? I asked at home depot and they looked at me like I was making things up to mock them.
I was just at home depot today and saw them back with the sprinkler system setups (near plumbing for toilets and all that jazz).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Funny pipe is a common term used to describe sprinkler system fittings. You'll need an elbow and a barb, 1/2". You will also need a cap on the elbow, but I can't find any so I just walk to the pvc section and pick up a 1/2" pvc cap. The reducer I get is a 2 to 2 1/2" reducer. I paint both the reducer and the cap black.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ended up using a PVC fitting from the toilet parts aisle, it was called a trap adaptor I think. It looks like a reducer, and fit right into a PVC elbow that I plumbed inside my clay background all the way underneath the false bottom. It holds a 40mm fan. Ill keep this in mind when I build my first dart tank next week.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I use a low noise 60mm fan, screen meshed over the front / back, strong neodymium magnet siliconed onto am extension off the fan, with the second magnet on the outside of the glass effectively clamping it in place, ran at 9V using a variable voltage adaptor.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use a low noise 60mm fan, screen meshed over the front / back, strong neodymium magnet siliconed onto am extension off the fan, with the second magnet on the outside of the glass effectively clamping it in place, ran at 9V using a variable voltage adaptor.
That's smart using a magnet. Do you have a picture of it? How strong of a magnet did you need?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
ok, so today I received 3 delta 12v fans to replace the tiny silenx fans I had originally purchased. The new fans are 40mmx40mmx28mm and really pack a punch, at 24cfm. They are not as quiet as the tiny ones, at all. At full speed, they are quite noticable even in the tank. But, they do not need to operate at full speed. A single fan is currently keeping 80% of the glass clear, on a very low setting.

Had I known this would be the case, I might have gotten the slightly cheaper, slightly slower 15.8 cfm fans that delta makes in the same size. These are quieter, and have a slower top speed, but that would be fine, since I will never need them at top speed. I've got them down around 20% speed, and the one fan is causing noticable movement in the plants, and clearing a large glass area. I can only imagine 3 fans is going to be overkill, possibly even on the lowest setting.

for anyone interested, here are links to the 2 fans I'm talking about, the ones I got and the slower ones...
Delta 40mm x 28mm Fan (FFB0412SHN-F00) - FrozenCPU.com

Delta 40mm x 28mm Fan (FFB0412VHN-F00) - FrozenCPU.com
i see you got those fans. :)
i swear by them and they are the only 40mms i use.

james

1 - 20 of 51 Posts