Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't like putting on a resperator to thin your silicone use mineral spriits instead of Tolulene.....it takes a little longer to cure but is not harmful to you and loved ones:)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
If you don't like putting on a resperator to thin your silicone use mineral spriits instead of Tolulene.....it takes a little longer to cure but is not harmful to you and loved ones:)
yet does all the chemicals evaporate and leave no traces behind?
That is why tolulene and xylene/xylol is used cause according to the research done everything evaporates and no chemicals are left behind.

Reactions: erik s

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
That is why tolulene and xylene/xylol is used cause according to the research done everything evaporates and no chemicals are left behind.
This depends highly on the grade of the solvent used as a thinner. Inexpensive grades of mineral spirits often leave a residue of sulphur behind so chemicals can be left behind.

Ed

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Mineral spirits is a broad category of solvents that contain toluene, xylenes, ethybenzenes and other compounds. The reason it doesn't evaporate as quickly is precisely due to the impurities composed of longer carbon-chain hydrocarbon compounds that are not as volatile. These might not evaporate entirely during the curing process and could contaminate the contents of the viv.

Also, even though mineral spirits might not be as much of an irritant as pure toluene, you should still use a respirator if using it in an unventilated space. Some of the impurities are far more toxic or have a higher cancer risk than toluene.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Mineral spirits is a broad category of solvents that contain toluene, xylenes, ethybenzenes and other compounds. The reason it doesn't evaporate as quickly is precisely due to the impurities composed of longer carbon-chain hydrocarbon compounds that are not as volatile. These might not evaporate entirely during the curing process and could contaminate the contents of the viv.

Also, even though mineral spirits might not be as much of an irritant as pure toluene, you should still use a respirator if using it in an unventilated space. Some of the impurities are far more toxic or have a higher cancer risk than toluene.
I never said anything against using a respirator but I think a respirator should be used when just messing with mineral spirits or anything like it

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ed...your patience is wearing thin again, isn't it?? Is this whole thing: "Tinning" with mineral spirits a joke??? I must be missing something...am I the only one not in on the "joke"???

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Ed...your patience is wearing thin again, isn't it?? Is this whole thing: "Tinning" with mineral spirits a joke??? I must be missing something...am I the only one not in on the "joke"???
the guy meant thinning :rolleyes:
I think we should be able to edit the thread name if we make mistakes like that :p

·
Registered
19,322 Posts

The OP obviously made a spelling error in the title..
My patience is fine so far with this thread... there is another thread where it is wearing thin...

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.