Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to PDF's and don't know which frog would be the best for me to get. I want to get about 2-3, and am thinking of breeding them in the future. Please help me to decide which i should get...

Thanks,
BajaD.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would say that the only difference is aesthetics and $$

so get the one *you* want.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About what size of terrarium would 2-3 of these frogs need?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think those frogs would go in a 20 gal. I heard the some rule of 1 frog per 5 gal.... but id put them in a 20 gal to minimize stress and aggression

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
tad604 said:
I would say that the only difference is aesthetics and $$

so get the one *you* want.
I like that advice. Cared for properly, most darts live a long (I think seven years is about average) life, so yeah get the one *you* want. If you want them both, but have to decide between the two, I think I would go with the Azuerus. Take that advice with a grain of salt, I have no experience with either, but it seems like I notice a lot more people on this and other forums have problems with the tincs, like they get skinny and just waste away and so on. Any one else notice that?
But I think I would still get the ones *you* want :!:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 3 tincs are a year old, and in a 29 gallon I think they have just enough room. I wouldn't want to keep them in anything smaller. Although keep in mind when I first got them I get them in a 5.5 gallon for several months, then a 10 gallon for a few more months.

-tad

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tad,
when you had your frogs in the 5.5 and 10 gal, how did you have them furnished? And how long were they in there?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the 5.5 gallon I just put down wet sphagnum moss, small potted plant (not in regular soil but planted in peatmoss/something chemical free) and a small water dish. They stayed there for a month or so (until they were all at least an inch from noste to butt). Then I put them into the 10 gallon for about 5 months. Since I had a month to work on the 10 gallon, I planted it with a jewel orchid, crypanthus, sheet moss, pothos and wondering jew, had a false bottom, with a small fountain. Then I began working on the 29 gallon.

Incidentally I think tommorrow I'm going to buy a 65 or 75 gallon tank (found them on sale =) 78 for the 65 gallon and 88 for a 75 gallon. When I get a female for them, I want to have a bigger space. As it is I almost feel the 29 is too small for them. They are by far the most active/inquisitive of my frogs and explore every square inch.

-Tad

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Azureus vs. tincs

I'm one of those people that thinks D. azureus is more of a subspecies (geographically isolated population) of D. tinctorius, but for some political reasons they are kept a seperate species. Their care and breeding is identical. There are morphs of D. tinc ('kutari river', 'new river' and blue sips to a degree) that are extremely similar to azureus, and as froglets its very very hard to tell them apart. Its more along the lines of what color do you like better, and size (there are dwarf morphs of tincs like oyapok, nikita, lorenzo up to GO, reginas, and citronellas to 3 inches which are bigger than azureus which is about mid/normal sized tinc).

As froglets, keep them in smaller tanks. Too many females together in a tank is more of a limiting size factor than frogs in general, as its the girls that fight all the time in the tinc group.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would agree that it is largely a question of what you prefer. Like Corey, I tend to agree that azureus are probably just a subspecies of tinctorius. However, I will attest that there are noticeable differences between the New Rivers and azureus, even in froglets. Pics just don't pick up the differences so well.

I have both, and I love them both. Just take your pick, and buy from a reputable breeder. That's the real key.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for the record D. azureus is genetically the same as D. tinctorius-- this info courtesy of Ed Kowalski.
j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts