Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always noticed that my Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus" were quite bold, so i tried an experiment. After VERY carefully sterilizing my hands, i stuck a finger in front of one of them. He didn't even care, just took a look at my finger and continued snapping up ff's. A lot of dart frogs are bold, but i think my azureus take the cake. At the opposite extreme, i've heard Alanis are scared of everything. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
At the opposite extreme, i've heard Alanis are scared of everything. Is this true?
Not mine. They're the boldest Tinc I have in my collection right up there with our Powders. I always remove eggs at night, but had a frogger over and removed some eggs from the Alanis viv. The female jumped right on my hand and stared me down. It was pretty funny, but I won't do it again. lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a group of Azureus babies that are kind of shy. They are rather young so I'll give them time. They spring away when I open the tank to feed them, but then they come back out. My Cobalts on the other hand are the most active frogs ever.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I have a group of green lamasii at my house. I'm frog sitting them :p

Lamasii are notorious for being shy but these guys are very bold! They are out all the time and don't stop calling, even if I have my hands in the tank. The other day, when I went to feed them, I noticed one of them on the door. Had to move him out of the way so he didn't hop off the door and onto the carpet. Put my hand near him and he didn't move, just kept calling. I had to push him off the door and onto the side glass, one little hop at a time, so I could fully open the door to feed. He never missed a beat.

I gotta get some of these guys for myself. Very fun frogs.

edit: lmao, sorry, this is about tinctorious. Hmmm, I have a Sip that hangs out on a large piece of wood and waits for me to feed him and then I have a pair of tincs who don't seem to like me very much and run away as soon as I get near. :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
my alanis are the boldest i have. they run from nothing. jump on my hand if i reach in to do something. eat with me and nieces/nephews/friends/dog all staring right at them.

pretty sure its just a personality thing. differs frog to frog with some species "tending" to be shyer than others. not tincs, but my orange lamasi, in the same viv, 2 are bold as all get-out, call at me with the door open and stare me down. 2, i never see.

-brett

·
Registered
309 Posts
same here about the alanis - boldest frogs in my collection. When I come home, they come to the front of their viv, waiting to be fed, looking at what I do. When I open the viv they just stay put and wait. I can amuse myself and drop in one fly at a time and the male will get it, then look at me in a way as he was saying: come on, give me more... They even seem to know where I keep the food. While I collect flies and dust them, they all come to observe, alanis and azureus.

Have a nice day.

gluedl

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does anyone have any funny tinctorius videos?

·
Registered
44 Posts
A long way back I had a trio of cobalt tincs that would chase my hands around the tank when I would change their water or move anything in the tank. The male from that group I would actually have to be really quick around as he would hop out as fast as possible and start to climb my arm every single time I grabbed the petri dish, that one would be halfway up my forearm before I even saw him sometimes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts