Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I made a controversial title so people would look at this post :) I'm hoping more eyes will provide some good discussion.

I'm planning two 340 gal plywood builds. One will be for tinctorius.

Question: is this sufficient space for any combination of 4 tinctorius, or is more than 2 frogs still a bad idea?

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I don't have any input, but I think listing the actual dimensions also would help get the most accurate feedback. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
The Facebook groups have a goodly number of starving tincs being kept in groups (admittedly in smaller tanks). My knee jerk reaction is to say anything above 2 males and 1 female is a bad idea and the trio only viable if you can rehouse the male quickly if it's not working.

BUT, there is also at least one person with a greenhouse of cobalts on facebook keeping like 30 frogs in a floor plan that from pictures 'looks' to be 3 or so times as large. Soooo maybe?? If you decide to go for it I would have a lot of empty tanks and bins standing by to rehouse. My preference is to go with a different species. Auratus can be bold if in a trafficked area and have a quiet call and can handle groups.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have no experience but coincidentally was watching a video by Northern Frogger on YouTube earlier where he discusses the problems he has experience with trying to keep Tincs in groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Facebook groups have a goodly number of starving tincs being kept in groups (admittedly in smaller tanks). My knee jerk reaction is to say anything above 2 males and 1 female is a bad idea and the trio only viable if you can rehouse the male quickly if it's not working.

BUT, there is also at least one person with a greenhouse of cobalts on facebook keeping like 30 frogs in a floor plan that from pictures 'looks' to be 3 or so times as large. Soooo maybe?? If you decide to go for it I would have a lot of empty tanks and bins standing by to rehouse. My preference is to go with a different species. Auratus can be bold if in a trafficked area and have a quiet call and can handle groups.

I have 4 tincs I'm growing out now for sexing, so this tank will be for them (or a subset) rather than a different species (unless I don't get a pair I suppose).

Interestingly, I had 3 auratus (1.2), but the females were very aggressive to each other. They never dropped weight, but I felt bad for them, so i separated them. Even Auratus can be bad in groups.

And with that I think I have my answer. If keeping a group of auratus in that tank would make me nervous, then the even higher risk of tincs is most likely a no go for me. I'm really not interested in tearing it apart trying to catch a frog or two because of aggression.

I'll continue to think on it, but I suspect that's what I'll do.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no experience but coincidentally was watching a video by Northern Frogger on YouTube earlier where he discusses the problems he has experience with trying to keep Tincs in groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great find!

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I'm really not interested in tearing it apart trying to catch a frog or two because of aggression.
That's an important consideration. If a worst case scenario cannot be addressed, then the plan should be reconsidered.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Im just pondering here. But i wonder if having such a greater area may enable more "habitat replicant" territorial mapping and consequent agression since there is still unsurmountable boundaries

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im just pondering here. But i wonder if having such a greater area may enable more "habitat replicant" territorial mapping and consequent agression since there is still unsurmountable boundaries
Could be. There's probably no data on natural territory size, is there?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's an important consideration. If a worst case scenario cannot be addressed, then the plan should be reconsidered.
Exactly, I've taken tanks apart to catch frogs before, and if I deem the probability of this needing to be done as high, it's not worth the risk to me. Especially something so large.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Yeah, you better let me take it off your hands, lol!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd go out on a limb and say a Tinc would be relatively easy to catch if need be. Supper time should make it fairly quick work ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd go out on a limb and say a Tinc would be relatively easy to catch if need be. Supper time should make it fairly quick work ;)
That could be, but unfortunately these guys made me take their tank apart entirely when I split up their group of 8 when they were younger...just too many hiding places I guess...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts