Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have 4 cobalt tincs in a 40gal. breeder. I've noticed two are much smaller, so my question is should I have all 4 in one terrarium or should I have two per a terrarium? To give an age, they are between 7 and 8 months out of water.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Well they could be males...which tend to be smaller, but they sound a little young for breeding so I'd probably separate them for awhile if there is much of size difference....it is usually good to raise frogs up separately or pull any that aren't keeping up in size with the others.

Not sure about keeping tincs in groups....generally not a good idea with azureus nor other tinc species/morphs from what I've heard/experienced.

Here is some info on that...
Saurian Enterprises, Inc :: Dendrobates tinctorius morphs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright so what size terrarium should I be using for two tincs? Petco right now is running $1 per gallon so I can get a tank rather cheap.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Alright so what size terrarium should I be using for two tincs? Petco right now is running $1 per gallon so I can get a tank rather cheap.
Some would say you can get away with a 10, but I wouldn't....I'd do a 20high or 20 long, and try not to pair up females since they tend to be the most aggressive, but if you can't be sure usually when it is just 2 frogs they'll be ok, you just need to keep an eye on them. When you add that 3rd frog is when all hell tends to break loose...but still 2 females together is probably best avoided if you can help it.

20's just make nicer display tanks too. I had a bunch of 10 gals when I started and now I try not to do anything under 20gal...looks nicer and tends to be better for the frogs. I'd use any 10's for growing out froglets or tadpole tanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the cobalts since Thanksgiving 2012 and I personally went to Josh's Frogs and picked out the four I wanted so I know that they are not siblings. They all come out and eat and I don't notice the smaller frogs hanging back. I'll take some pics and post them too

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is the size difference between the frogs. Might be hard to tell from the pics, but there is a visual difference. I don't think I really have a problem (at least not yet) because they all come out and feed at the same time and they all mingle with one another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts