Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know, my camera sux. The best I can do is describe. But, even though people are claiming that male tincs have wider fingerpads, all tincs I have seen seem to have wider fingerpads than their toes! So, what is finger pad size relative to, if you do not have a comparision with another frog?

Additionally, when do male tincs call? My frog has never called, but he's got *wide finger tips and is 1.5." Kole is 15 months out of the water. He is fat, but he doesn't look nearly like my female tricolor. I want to make sure kole is a guy before we get him a mate! :shock: (I hope I haven't damaged "him" psychologically if its a "she." :lol: )

Anybody have a really, really good comparision pic/

Doug

·
Registered
230 Posts
The finger pads will be noticeably larger than the toe pads. It's not just a slight difference, we're talking double the size and you can fairly easily make out the double "lobes" on each finger. Depending on species they may have a lot more white on them. I see in your signature that you have Suriname Cobalts, I keep them as well and that's how I can tell them apart from the females. Especially on frogs that are over 10 months old. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture to send you.

-Ben

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't really like sexing with toe pads. In both of my azureus pairs, I can't tell the difference between males and females just by looking at the toe pads. (and I think I'm pretty good at seeing little things like that.)

I know how you feel though.... When I got my first pair, I watched them day in, day out for a few weeks, looking for toe pad differences. I did this until I figured out their sexes when they started calling.

Here's another idea to sex them if you can't tell between toe pads - I would wait until they get settled in and then feed and spray like mad for a week. As long as they are mature and healthy, the males should start calling. This worked for me when I sexed mine, but I don't know if it will work for you or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts